• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GAP cold air intake question.

ryama

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder R-TX
Much discussion has gone on of the value of the under the hood cold air intakes . Some has argued that the temperature in the intake track is increased because of the under hood air the filters are getting. The Gap solution which is over priced in my opinion my actually be a valid option. And it looks stock like which is a bonus when you tell everybody you are running a stock Winder.

Thoughts on the performance of this part would be appreciated?

I do have this intake with zero time in it, may be overpriced a bit , I like the clean install. Under hood intakes have no gains, just drawing in hot air off motor. Here’s a pic of mine installed

Attachments

• AA63FA6A-2789-416F-B64F-D3032BF3A825.jpeg
    AA63FA6A-2789-416F-B64F-D3032BF3A825.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 189
Much discussion has gone on of the value of the under the hood cold air intakes . Some has argued that the temperature in the intake track is increased because of the under hood air the filters are getting. The Gap solution which is over priced in my opinion my actually be a valid option. And it looks stock like which is a bonus when you tell everybody you are running a stock Winder.

Thoughts on the performance of this part would be appreciated?

It looks terrific and I have never tried it because it does rob air from the clutches on that side.

What I would like to do is put my WAI intake outside the hood facing forward like the race sleds run the air horn out the front. I tried this a few years back but the tune went very lean, now with the closed loop it would adjust for it fine, but outside air filters are so dang ugly and says, "look at me I have a mod sled". I'd rather be stealth and look stock.

I run the underwood WAI because it does add about .5 lbs of boost and have a leaner A/F ratio, so it breathes better even though it IS definitely warmer air than the stock box provides. I'd say it gives you about 5 HP more than the stock box does with the added boost level alone.

I ran the Gap cold air intake all last season combined with the closed loop system. I installed the two at the same time, it may be the combination of the two or just coincidental, but I picked up a couple hundred rpm on my 240 tune. I never ran anything higher then 240 all last season as it was working so darn well.
I also never noticed any increase in my belt temps on the Razor gage after the Gap intake install.

Worked for me

I ran it last winter and noticed cooler intake temps.....SS

Did you guys block the stock intake then with the GAP intake?

I often wondered if in the powder, (I know the screen up front is kind of coarse and not fine), will it fill the stock box with snow, have you ever run in the powder and checked the airbox?

I often wondered if in the powder, (I know the screen up front is kind of coarse and not fine), will it fill the stock box with snow, have you ever run in the powder and checked the airbox?
You cut a hole in the stock airbox,gap intake fits in side stock airbox , still uses the air filter.

I ran the GAP intake most of last season. We did a long weekend trip and noticed I was down on boost at bit. After I got back I opened up the airbox and found this in my airbox. 100% trail so must have been all the snow dust kicked up from following the sleds in my group.

airbox.jpg

I ran the GAP intake most of last season. We did a long weekend trip and noticed I was down on boost at bit. After I got back I opened up the airbox and found this in my airbox. 100% trail so must have been all the snow dust kicked up from following the sleds in my group.

View attachment 164030
Oh snap I have some camp dry spray that I used on my 1100 with evo intake, maybe by the looks of things I’ll spray some on the gap intake screen

I never blocked the stock airbox intake and never noticed an increase of snow in the intake...but as I never had any running issues I also never checked.

View attachment 164030
Wow!
I will definitely have to keep an eye on my intake this season!
I may rig up a way to block the Gap intake opening in adverse conditions.

PS:

Love that primary clutch on your sled!!!!!

Wow!
I will definitely have to keep an eye on my intake this season!
I may rig up a way to block the Gap intake opening in adverse conditions.

PS:

Love that primary clutch on your sled!!!!!
That's a good idea. I don't have the gap intake now. If there was a clean way of blocking it off in poor conditions I would buy one. Keep us updated with what you come up with.

Maybe a layer of frogskin over the GAP intake screen would help with the fine snow dust that seemed to have gotten into my airbox. Again, this happened to me over a weekend of 600 miles and following fairly close to the sled in front when not leading.

View attachment 164030

That's what I was figuring could happen with the stock coarse screen up front.

The reason I asked about plugging the stock intake entrance is the area behind the windshield would have a negative pressure behind it vs the high pressure at the front of the hood area the GAP intake breathes from.

To me any pressure you build from the high pressure area up front, would just diminish to nothing if left to "vent" to the low pressure area behind the windshields stock intakes. After all, all were looking for here is the high pressure and cold air to benefit the intake charge. Not that its a large difference, but to me it would seem you would want to block off the low pressure area that is the stock intake and let the high pressure front scoop slightly pressurize the air box in effect.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me. I might try blocking the low pressure area of the stock intake and try that. Need to figure out a way to put a better screen on the stock intake as well to prevent the snow/ice buildup I had last year.

Back