• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gas Mileage

Vector21

I just bought a 2011 Grizzly 700. Less than 100 miles on the machine but It seems to be burning a lot of gas as compared to my 2001 Kodiak. How accurite is the fuel gage? Seems like it drops from full to the "E" bar pretty fast. Is there a "reserve fuel" indicator?

I believe my 09 has a low fuel warning. While hunting I usually get approx.32km when the 1st bar disappears, about a canadian gallon.
32km = 20 miles, 1 can. gal. = approx. 1.2 us gal.
Hunting is quite slow, when averaged with th hr. meter for the year it is only about 8mph.

Alright, We actually got soem decent weather to ride over the weekend, unfortunately the machine is getting terrible mileage. I only got ~35 miles on a full tank of fuel. Not especially happy with this as we were only cruising on seasonal roads under 30mph all day. i'm hoping this is just a break in thing but, I never saw this with my kodiak. I actually thought it might have a leak or something but none that I can find and no gas smell...any thoughts?

the larger the bore, the more gas it will burn compared to a smaller bore bike. yamaha usually engineers all there bikes with roughly the same fuel range based on tank size ie the 700 carries enough gas to go the same distace as a 450 does on 1 tank of gas.

have you checked if the air filter is dirty? could be the problem.

I guess I am more concerned about the range than the mileage, i expected it to be the same or very close. I pulled her apart last night and checked air filter, plug, oil, all were good. Does anyone know if yammy is now putting somthing in the computer to run it real rich for the break in period?? I know some other mfg's do this on snowmobile but never heard of it being done with ATV.

Vector21 said:
I guess I am more concerned about the range than the mileage, i expected it to be the same or very close. I pulled her apart last night and checked air filter, plug, oil, all were good. Does anyone know if yammy is now putting somthing in the computer to run it real rich for the break in period?? I know some other mfg's do this on snowmobile but never heard of it being done with ATV.

I know I can get about 50 to 60 miles to a tank even with my big bore. I would get it sometime to get at least 500 miles on it before I get to alarmed.

you cant compare a 450 kodiak to the 700 grizz,they are way harder on gas,but they have alot more power,i regularly get between 80 to 100 miles per tank,that's pretty much empty,with stock tires on my 700

I can get a little over 60 miles per tank maybe 70 if I push it. I'm usually riding two-up with my wife on the back and we're going 10mph average so I think that's good for a 700.

Back