• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gaylord MI, **updated 1-30-2010**

latest update 12-6-2009 0815AM

*BASE:* 4"--UNGROOMED
*PAST 24 Hrs:* 12" overnight
*CONDITION: * HOLY COW

When I posted an update last night we had about 4" of snow and there wasn't much happening in the sky. Well--OVERNIGHT WE GOT A FOOT OF SNOW HERE. That's right--a foot!! We could hardly believe our eyes. There is snow everywhere-you should see it outside! We're already making plans to groom tonight (tentatively). The snow is great packing density. Temps are predicted to stay under 30 and right now we're at 26. We're still under a weather advisory for up to 5" more today. Right now the sky is gray and there are light flurries outside. GET YOUR SLEDS FIRED UP NOW!

You better update John Dees web cams then and let Pete know at Sledheads. 4" as of right now with a chance of some more today. You talking about the Gaylord area right?

In the last hour its really been picking up. Truck has an inch all ready and its getting really nasty out. I'll try to update tomorrow. If everything goes our way we could have a combo of 24" of system and lakeeffect snow. Game on guys. ;)!

I've been moving alot of snow the last 3 days. I'll be up again in the morning plowing another 8 to 10 inches of snow. It's starting to pile up even better than last year and it really just started snowing hard the last 3 days. Could this be the epic year we've been waiting for? 10 day forecast is looking good. Anyone riding in the area please post on here. Ride safe. :letsnow: :winter:

Been riding the last 3 days. Quite a bit of snow but not much groomer action. coming home from work 2 nights ago the groomer had been out on trail 7 where you cross the railroad tracks near W. Otsego (Near Shell station) and then he went west. but rode to work again tonight and the trails have snow, but no grooming, 7 is whooped out pretty bad. Am going out this weekend for a longer ride, probably up 7 towards Vandy, maybe Indian river/Topinabee. We'll see, wife is still breakin in new sled.

Took first ride today. Trail 7 thru Gaylord is a Joke IMO. To me I didn't even see where any effort has been made to get the groomin process going on trail 7. I heard reports that Indian River is grooming and trails were good up there. I heard the Jordan Valley trails are also being groomed. I don't know if its cause to raise hell in Gaylord yet but here's the # for the DNR in Gaylord. Gaylord office for the DNR is 989-732-3541 and ask for Robin Pearson
On a positive note I did go out and hit some of my favorite spots off trail and it was fantastic. Lots and lots of Snow.

Attachments

• dec-12-2009.jpg
    dec-12-2009.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 180
Can personally vouch that the Gaylord trails were incredibly dismal.
Very disappointing...
Every connector trail my Daughter & I were on in the surrounding area was great.
(As long as it was outside Gaylords trail system)

Just spoke with someone in the Gaylord DNR office that truly was very professional & friendly. ;)!
She stated that they (Gaylords club) does not have insurance yet & cannot groom until they have coverage.

My Question is this...
THEY DID NOT KNOW WINTER WAS COMING??? :o| :o| :o|

C'mon guys, this is a seriously POOR excuse!

You only need to know a few things to make this work.
(If this sounds a bit sarcastic, it is meant to be!)

1) Winter comes just about the same time every year.
2) The trails open Dec 1st.
3) You will need insurance coverage, groomers, skids, Personnel, etc every year.
4) You should have everything completed & ready PRIOR to it snowing!

5) You need snow. (This we will forgive you on... lol)

If you do not understand, please re-read items 1 through 4 above.
Most likely this will stay the same for you year to year, so you are able plan ahead without winter surprising you that it showed up.

PS In all reality, I know the guys that groom, set-up equipment, people, etc, work really hard at this.
But no insurance?? C'mon guys!

I called the Gaylord chamber of commerce,1-800-345-8621 the lady told me all grooming operations was turned over to the DNR,With no idea when they was going to groom. Trail permit and regestration money HARD AT WORK!!! Might head else where this weekend for groomed trails. :o| :o|

Same thing happened last year with a different excuse. Funny it is always the Gaylord area. Grayling didnt want snowmobiles in town a few years back and they said where is are revenue. So they decided to put a trail thru town and stop giving tickets. Maybe this is Gaylords way of saying we dont need any winter revenue as we made to much over the great summer we had. Dumb a**es if you ask me. Snowmobiling is a huge business but then again maybe not to Gaylord....

Superman said:
In the last hour its really been picking up. Truck has an inch all ready and its getting really nasty out. I'll try to update tomorrow. If everything goes our way we could have a combo of 24" of system and lakeeffect snow. Game on guys. ;)!

You doing any riding this weekend? If so let me know, you've got my number

poleclimber said:
I've seen the Jordan Valley Groomers twice now in between East Jordan and Elmira. Supposed to get up to 8 inches the next couple days...

That doesn't surprise me.

Can say that Jordan Valley does an incredible job at grooming and always has pretty much.
They were great this weekend also. ;)!

Hey Rock, It was only a little more driving, and you could have been in the UP. Grand Marais area was great, lots of snow, and yes, groomed trails. I"m an old man, but I got in 443 miles, and the sled ran great, your hand warmers were GREAT, Allan's clutch kit was GREAT, and the sled showed 107, mph on the dream meter, this weekend, at Houghton I'll have the GPS on and we will see what top speed is. I really like the sled, and the rear skid ( SC-4 ) works well, The C&A's work good also. Running hard all weekend, it got 16.5 MPG, so , no complaints here. It works, I think I'll keep it....LOL
I'll see you in Houghton.
I'm stopping at Chris Whites shop on the way up on thursday, and getting a new riser and bars.
You have to go where the snow is Rock......LOL

Take care,
Nick ;)!

Started at the petoskey snowmobile club and rode over to wolverine and drove around in circles up to indian river. If anyone has ever ridin here you know what i'm talking about. Its kinda confusing. Anyway the trails were really good for how much snow we have. Never saw a groomer but we saw a few trails that didn't have any tracks on them so I know it was out. They arent talking about us getting any snow up here till next weekend and highs in the lower 30's so I don't know how well it'll hold up if a couple hundred sleds going ripping through. But like i say they were pretty darn good for december... ;)!

Back