• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing help

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Vector LTX GT.
WEBSITE
www. Moosehead Lawn Care.com
YAHOO
colemanbodemer@yahoo.com
Hi guys on my 07 Apex mountain I have a 23T top gear, and I think stock bottom 40T gear on it. I want to add reverse to this sled, so am going to buy a good use complete chaincase from a Apex gt. No I know the gearing is going to be off. My question is I want to set up the new chaincase to have pretty much the same gearing that I have on my non reverse chaincase. So I know the reverse chaincases will have different teeth on the bottom saying 38T for the bottom geat/ top gear anywhere from 22,23,24T. So being that my sled has the 40T stock bottom going to the 38T bottom what would I need for a top gear to have the same gearing, or close to the same gearing? Thanks!!

Hi guys on my 07 Apex mountain I have a 23T top gear, and I think stock bottom 40T gear on it. I want to add reverse to this sled, so am going to buy a good use complete chaincase from a Apex gt. No I know the gearing is going to be off. My question is I want to set up the new chaincase to have pretty much the same gearing that I have on my non reverse chaincase. So I know the reverse chaincases will have different teeth on the bottom saying 38T for the bottom geat/ top gear anywhere from 22,23,24T. So being that my sled has the 40T stock bottom going to the 38T bottom what would I need for a top gear to have the same gearing, or close to the same gearing? Thanks!!
If you want to stay with a 40T reverse bottom sprocket, I have one that's same as new, with needle bearing. I bought it new and used it 1 afternoon when trying different gear combinations for a 136" to 151" track conversation.

I also have a nice, low mile 70L chain if needed. I'll make you a heck of a deal on both.

PM if interested.

If you want to stay with a 40T reverse bottom sprocket, I have one that's same as new, with needle bearing. I bought it new and used it 1 afternoon when trying different gear combinations for a 136" to 151" track conversation.

I also have a nice, low mile 70L chain if needed. I'll make you a heck of a deal on both.

PM if interested.
Thanks Red Beard for the replying. So I would need the longer chain when going to the reverse chaincase? I will keep that in mind, as I want to be putting reverse on my sled this winter sometime.

Thanks Red Beard for the replying. So I would need the longer chain when going to the reverse chaincase? I will keep that in mind, as I want to be putting reverse on my sled this winter sometime.
I'm uncertain if you need the chain? I'm just stating that it's also available, but only if your final gearing requires it.

I'm uncertain if you need the chain? I'm just stating that it's also available, but only if your final gearing requires it.
I just went under the Totalyamaha Tech sled specs, the 09 Apex mountain (which comes stock with reverse) uses the 20/40T with 68L chain. The 07 Apex mountain (no reverse) uses 20/40T, 68L chain also. The thing is the previous owner changed the gearing on mine so it is right now 23/40T. So I might need the longer chain due to the reverse gears. What do you think? Ok let me ask this also, what would the 38T bottom due over the stock 40T? Would it be faster, less torque in powder? Or more torque/ less speed? Thanks

I just went under the Totalyamaha Tech sled specs, the 09 Apex mountain (which comes stock with reverse) uses the 20/40T with 68L chain. The 07 Apex mountain (no reverse) uses 20/40T, 68L chain also. The thing is the previous owner changed the gearing on mine so it is right now 23/40T. So I might need the longer chain due to the reverse gears. What do you think? Ok let me ask this also, what would the 38T bottom due over the stock 40T? Would it be faster, less torque in powder? Or more torque/ less speed? Thanks
It sounds like you don't need a 70L chain. I was only stating I had one if you needed it.

A 38T bottom sprocket, in theory, should net faster speed, but you need the correct clutching, track, etc. to match. You can gear too high and pull your engine down, and lose performance.

If you're satisfied with what you had, stay with it.

It sounds like you don't need a 70L chain. I was only stating I had one if you needed it.

A 38T bottom sprocket, in theory, should net faster speed, but you need the correct clutching, track, etc. to match. You can gear too high and pull your engine down, and lose performance.

If you're satisfied with what you had, stay with it.
Ok, and that is what I was not sure off. Thanks Redbeard!!

22/38 (1.727 ratio) is darn close to 23/40 (1.739 ratio), but requires shorter 68L chain. If you are stuck, send me a PM, I might have a chain and gears hanging around.

22/38 (1.727 ratio) is darn close to 23/40 (1.739 ratio), but requires shorter 68L chain. If you are stuck, send me a PM, I might have a chain and gears hanging around.
Thanks for that!! I already have the 68L chain on the stock chaincase. I just need to buy the reverse chain case and go from there.

Back