• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gen 1 to Gen 2 upgrade

Father Mike

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT N/A Build
2011 Apex SE
2009 Nytro XTX
I have a 2006 apex that has everything done to it and I love it but thinking of upgrading to a 2011+ is it worth it? Id probably still keep my 06.

In one word, yes.
If you’d like to hear the reasons for this one word reply do a search and prepare to read for days, more improvements than you can shake a stick at.

I would say no. Yes 2011+ is much more refined but I liked the 121 better. Its lighter. The new ones don't have that airbox bark.
If yours has all nice updates done... Keep it. If you want power steering and a taller seat along with a more bulletproof machine... Then go for it

My Attak was all around quicker and faster on the top end then my XTX. BUT, the Attak was a mess off trail, poor handling on trail, terrible handwarmers, weak exhaust, and had electrical gremlins. Had to work hard to get it to handle. On the other hand, EXUP is a PITA but the rest of the 11+ make it worthwhile.

A well setup Attak like yours well ride nicer than a stock SE with floats. Proven this many times with a riding buddy that has a '12 SE
The 2nd gen will be faster in the short track version, heated grips are better, Mono II is more robust and you get a nice heated visor plug in on the handle bars.

The mono suspension in your '06 is great. I had an 05 RX1 with the same setup. If you upgrade to 11/12 I would go with the SE, which is a mono, unless you plan on upgrading the XTX rear suspension with Star. The stock suspension is a lumber wagon. The springs are way too stiff. I changed mine out for a 09 Vector, I believe it was a Vector that was recommended. Maybe a Nytro, I forget... But it still needs work..... The SE and XTX both weigh 700lbs... I don't believe they had an LTX those years. The SE is 128"....

Here you can compare the 2:

My first 2nd gen Apex was an XTX with a Star kit, revalve, softer torsion springs, the works. I could never get it to ride as plush as I wanted, and would still bottom occasionally. The ‘16 XTX I’ve just completed has a tipped rail 146” Mono II suspension under it with a dual rate spring setup and decent valving. Hoping this works as more of a “do it all” setup. I ran something similar under my mod Nytro and absolutely loved it in 137” form. In my experience the mono tuned properly is an absolutely fantastic trail skid.

Agree. The mono skid is excellent. I couldn't even push the rear down on the XTX until I put softer torsion springs in. It did make a big difference, but not there yet.. My '12 has tipped rails...

i did not up grade my 11 to the star suspension kit but i did install the 09 nitro xtx springs with hygear torsion spring spacers and the 14 viper 4 position torsion adjusters. i did have to stiffen up the valving on the front skid shock but i must have done something right as other than slow stutter compliance, it rides so well that gf kicked me off of it and told me to buy myself a new sled.

Back