• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Genesis 120 carb - difficult start when cold

Yeah, what did you find out? My pick is still to clean the carbs thoroughly paying attention to the pilots and needle/ seats, and put a set of plugs in it. Pretty common problems on these sleds.

I haven't done anything further but will this weekend.

Cameron - what sort of seal are you referring to?

Here is what I tried this past weekend;

Plugs - nice colour and even across all plugs
Coil resistance - primary and seconday both within spec
Carb - starter plungers cleaned (missed these the first time around)

Still need to keep the throttle slightly open during warm-up to keep it running. Seems to need to come off the choke sooner though. It hasn't been overly cold lately so I imagine it will be worse in those conditions.

Bad plug, plugged pilot jet, valves out of spec.

The choke should tell you if it is in the carbs. If your cleaning the pilot jets compressed air isn't good enough anymore. Soak them in combustion chamber cleaner and then hit them.

When warm, is your Idle RPM in spec.?
Mine will dop down to 1000RPM's when the light goes off but after a short time it will be at 1600 or so when completely warm....
I think these motors are cold blooded and evn though the warm-up light goes off, the engine is still way below operating temp.

It will not idle cold by itself. When hot it idles around 1300. I was pretty thorough with the carbs so I don't think its that.
I'm beginning to believe the valve clearance needs to be checked. I looked in the service manual and adjusting it looks pretty involved.

Back