• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting an XTX Mountain Ready

DeepFrz

Expert
Will be bringing my XTX out to West Yellowstone in a couple weeks and need some advice on how to set up my sled for riding in that elevation (6000-8000ft) as well as any accessories I should be looking into before I go.

2011 XTX
Skid ✔️ - 141 AC float skid out of a '16 M6000.
Track ✔️ - 144x1.77x2.52 Composit Talon 45.
Drivers ✔️ - 9t Wahl Extros.
Skis ✔️ - C&A MTX.
Steering ✔️ - ProTapers w/ OFT Relocate Kit.
Gearing ✔️ - 19/39.
Sway Bar ✔️ - Removed.
Tether/ROV ➖ - Have Tether but no ROV.
Front Shocks ❌ - Have Float 3's but need pressure recommendations for deep snow and no sway bar.
Clutching ❌ - Need recommendations for that combination of gearing, track, and elevation.
Spare Fuel ❌ - Need recommendations on options. Currently only getting about 100 miles a tank with the gearing and that won't cut it out there.

Accessories
Beacon ✔️
BCA Radio ✔️
Shovel/Probe ✔️

Thanks in advance for the advice!

That front end is going to fight you constantly off trail, even without the sway bar. Wish I could meet you there to show you the difference. You would be shocked.

That front end is going to fight you constantly off trail, even without the sway bar. Wish I could meet you there to show you the difference. You would be shocked.

Before I got my arms and spindles powder coated I was seriously considering your crossover arms but couldn't get myself to spend any more money on the sled at the time haha. Love the skid plate and IP vent I got from you though!

Just came back from some off trail riding in Munising, here's my notes.

- Track will be ok. I did alright with my 1.75" backcountry, but the guys with mountain sleds 153/155 and 2.6" tracks did much better. That said, it was a lot better than a 144" x 1.25" Ripsaw another Nytro had.

- The wider skis help keep the front end up. I ran 7" powder hounds. Once again still not as good as the lighter 2 stroke mountain sleds but better than the viper with C&A skis and a Nytro with tuners.

- I've got Peter's crossover arms in my sled with the sway bar removed, it's not even in the same league as the stock setup! I didn't play much with my shock settings, but on my Evol R shocks I ran 60 psi in the main and 120 psi in the add on chamber. I left the limiter straps loose. I think I read pulling them up a hole or 2 can help with trenching.

- I made a custom setup for a Linq setup to run a skidoo fuel can. I think it worked out very nice. The skidoo can is quality and holds 3 gallons of fuel which is nice. I had to run an exhaust turn out as well.

- I installed a Thunder Products clutching setup and am very happy. I'd honestly call them or another vendor. By the time you factor in your time, oem parts, etc. I feel a kit from them is a good deal. Mine was setup ready to bolt in and performed great out of the box. You'll want a nice low engagement for better take off. You can just pin it from a stop but I found the sled would trench more when I did that.

- I see you've got skins airframe boards which will be a big help. I have the stock boards and they hold snow like crazy...

- You're geared down which will help with track speed when you need it. I think I'm at 20/39 and feel like I could have dropped down a bit more, but didn't "need" it.

- I got a fair amount of snow through the nose vent I added and brake side front vent. I'll be putting some of the pre filter material on those areas. Clutch side was nice and dry with the wrp vents that had the pre filter material.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Back