• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Got a great (i think) deal for an apex, but can it work for me?

insistent

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
apex?
Heya, i might or might not be a ty4stroke club member, might know here haha.

So heres the deal, my step father want to sell me his Apex rx10p 2011 with about 7k miles for 3500$ cad (2600$ish USD), it is pretty clean and sexy overall, all fox suspension, alway well maintained, i could get away with it and pay monthly directly to him with no extra.
4eo2ZI9.jpg

ghdUviO.jpg

Tq7481C.jpg

BUT.

What bugger me is its powder/deep snow performance, i dont know the apex much except its a rocket, but from what ive heard is that they dont work off-trail, or barely at all, i dont intend to do mountain riding, but im probably more like 50/50 trail and off, maybe 60% off trail.

So overall, i was wondering if i can go powder/deep snow just fine, or if it can be modded to be decent without spending more than the cost of the sled itself?

At $2,600 US that's a Very good Buy. He must like you a lot.
You already know that sled is a rocket on the trails. That's why theyre called ,Apex. But they are a Submarine in deep snow. The Apex is designed to do one thing, and it does it to perfection.

At that price. Buy it, then buy a Ski-don't for off trail riding

Yeah, i though it was a great deal, however for room and a few other reasons, it would likely be my only sled for quite a long time, that why i was wondring if i can trim and mod it to be more versilate.

I have looked around the forums, some had used track usa extension kit from 126-128 to 136 or even 144, apparently they said to be surprised and make powder riding a lot better, these kits seems to go around 650-700$ new?

those kits do not usually include the track. as that is a mono shock skid, they usually do not ride as well when extended past 136" and have other issues i have heard. i reccomend looking for a 2011-15 apex xtx skid or 09-13 nitro xtx skid as i know an 1-1/2" composit track will fit in there as i just put one in my 2011 xtx and it has the same drivers as your sled. as a bounus the track is almost $100 cheaper than the 1-1/4" ripsaw that came stock on the xtx sleds of those years from royal distributing.

last year i looked into what it takes to turn an normal apex into an xtx. need track, lower gear in chain case, suspension, tunnel extension and rear bumper. with pricing everything new but the suspension as i have one, it was going to cost me about $1500.00 without looking on here for used parts witch would cut the cost a bunch. i also reccomend wider skis for off trail as the stock ones are what makes it nose dive off trail.

i have an apex xtx stock bumper and the gear you need if you decide to make it longer.

Geez $3500? Why can't I sled around here for that price? Plus it has at least $700 worth of billet acc on it.
Throw some mountain skis and a belly pan on it. This will help with flotation up front. Ditch the stock Rip Saw for a better track.
These tanks can handle going thru 3 plus feet of snow. Just don't let go of the throttle because then it will pretend to be a submarine.

those kits do not usually include the track. as that is a mono shock skid, they usually do not ride as well when extended past 136" and have other issues i have heard. i reccomend looking for a 2011-15 apex xtx skid or 09-13 nitro xtx skid as i know an 1-1/2" composit track will fit in there as i just put one in my 2011 xtx and it has the same drivers as your sled. as a bounus the track is almost $100 cheaper than the 1-1/4" ripsaw that came stock on the xtx sleds of those years from royal distributing.

last year i looked into what it takes to turn an normal apex into an xtx. need track, lower gear in chain case, suspension, tunnel extension and rear bumper. with pricing everything new but the suspension as i have one, it was going to cost me about $1500.00 without looking on here for used parts witch would cut the cost a bunch. i also reccomend wider skis for off trail as the stock ones are what makes it nose dive off trail.

i have an apex xtx stock bumper and the gear you need if you decide to make it longer.

Thot the Mono had the same pivot points on the short or 136 skids. If so can an extension really hurt the ride quality? Just asking.

Might have some parts for you. Ive got some mountain skis, bar riser and other apex mountain stuff

Start with some Apex Mountains skis, as you need that front end to float. Biggest change in off trail performance on my trail tank, next to a bigger paddle. But until I put the wider skis on, it would just plow snow (like a mofo, but plow snow) Now it gets on top.

You may be able to get away with wide skis and a bigger lug to start. But until I went big lug and big skis, I always stayed way from the bottomless stuff, now I crave it, and even find myself parking off the trail, just to see how many of my buddies come over assuming I am stuffed (as it usually was) Then I just pin it and pop right out. It's amazing fun!

Good luck!

Thot the Mono had the same pivot points on the short or 136 skids. If so can an extension really hurt the ride quality? Just asking.

i have never owned a mono apex until i got the 2016 single shot. i know from reading in the apex section over the years that extending the 121 skid over 136" caused some issues in how the skid behaves and handles. most fixed the issue by replacing the skid with a different one from what i remeber. they might have been using tip up rails, witch could have been the issue as the 146" xtx skid has no tip up on it.

dang forgot to measure the mount points on the 11 vs the 16 as everything looks to mount in the same place for singleshot vs ck

i did the pricing on the conversion as my dealer had a 2015 apex with 1500 mi on he took on a trade and i did the pricing to see if it was cheaper to convert it to xtx at the time or buy a leftover 15-17 xtx as they where still around at the time. i waited too long and it got sold in a matter of weeks, so i bought my 16 at a dealer that i will not go back to as he was tying to tell me what my sled did not need when i asked him about the upgrade shock for it when i was picking the sled up.

any ways, port yamaha was who i got my skid plate from as yamaha canada does not have them any more and i had a hard time finding one before i called them. not seeing them at all. only one i can find now is a skinz float plate witch is still availible.

I have the Skinz float plate on my 18 Apex and like how it also provides protection for the a-arms unlike the one on my 08 which was OEM.

I have the Skinz float plate on my 18 Apex and like how it also provides protection for the a-arms unlike the one on my 08 which was OEM.

i run the oe one but here in canada it was easy to get a arm gaurds and that helps immensely with flotation as well. just too bad that they quit making them. i almost had to make the set for my 2016 as i had a lot of trouble finding them last year.

Definitely mountain ski. 1.75 backcountry work great for 50/50. Swap the skid for a 144 or 146 and you will be good for some off trail. I had a apex with MTN ski and a zx2 144 with 1.75 and I was impressed.

Thanks for the tips and comment guys!

I decided to go for it, too good of a deal to pass, and from someone i know well and how he maintained his machines.

So to begin with, it would be apex mountain ski, front float plate.

Then going 144 with 1.5 or 1.75 inch, to be a more versatile 50/50, however its kinda unfortunate that the track is nearly new, but highly doupt the track gonna be this year anyway.

By the way, on paper it show Rx10p model, monoshock unser sled, on other word i guess its a SE?

Last edited:
the 1.5 fits without replacing the drivers. the 1.75, you would have to change the drivers. just put the 1.5 on my 11 xtx. good news is you could sell the old track to some one to defray some of the costs.

odds are that is what it is.

Back