• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Got a Viper... Now where's the snow?

ski

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha Viper R-TX LE
Can't wait for some snow to test out my new (to me) 2015 ViperR-TX LE!

She's a former racer that was a Yamaha sponsored unit, so it has some neat toys and crazy suspension. I think I might go back to stock Float Evol's though as the Elka springs are a bit (understatement) too stiff for me. Lots of cool mods on the suspension and clutches too, the guy who rode it claimed 105 MPH to speed which is quick for a "stock" Viper.

Planning to put the stock bars and controls back on, pull all the outside studs out for trail use, add some storage and rip some snow. I love this riding position even though I took a while to come around (came off an Attak previously)
sled (Small).jpg 20171006_173910 (Small).jpg new (Small).jpg sled 3 (Small).jpg

Can't wait for some snow to test out my new (to me) 2015 ViperR-TX LE!

She's a former racer that was a Yamaha sponsored unit, so it has some neat toys and crazy suspension. I think I might go back to stock Float Evol's though as the Elka springs are a bit (understatement) too stiff for me. Lots of cool mods on the suspension and clutches too, the guy who rode it claimed 105 MPH to speed which is quick for a "stock" Viper.

Planning to put the stock bars and controls back on, pull all the outside studs out for trail use, add some storage and rip some snow. I love this riding position even though I took a while to come around (came off an Attak previously)
View attachment 130747 View attachment 130748 View attachment 130749 View attachment 130750
Looks like your hand-warmer control and hi\low beam are gone or relocated. The break also looks like it has a different handle.
Great looking sled.

Very similar graphics to an XTX at the same dealer I bought mine from which I assume was some kind of factory hill climb race sled or was possibly the test mule for the 15' XTX LE. It had Ice Age rails, 2.25" power claw, MTN steering, and 40" front. Mine was sitting right next to it and was one of a bunch that came from the Auction when they moved snowmobile HQ.

Thanks guys... Look like most of the mods underneath are just reinforcements of weak areas. The LE used stronger cross-members in the skid already if I'm not mistaken, but this sled seems to have extra (steel) plates at all mounting points on the tunnel, and a bump stop on the rail reinforcement too. I'm switching the controls back to stock as it was toggle switches for the heated grips and there was high beam only on the headlight (no switch at all). It didn't use a key either, just a ign on/off and push button starter switch. There is also no reverse... to save on rotating mass I assume. I have the original jack shaft and all the other parts to put it back in which I'll tackle soon... I just wish I was the one who took it all out so I knew how it goes back in! Front shocks are already back to stock.

20171008_201949 (Small).jpg 20171008_202035 (Small).jpg 20171008_211334 (Small).jpg 20171008_211412 (Small).jpg 20171008_211420 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
If you haven't sold those shocks, I'd suggest you keep them and have them worked back to a trail configuration. Have you seen what those babies are worth?!! Elkas don't seem as well known outside of Canada, but they are a top quality upgrade. I hope you like the sled as much as I like mine! Have fun with it and bring on the snow!

If you haven't sold those shocks, I'd suggest you keep them and have them worked back to a trail configuration. Have you seen what those babies are worth?!! Elkas don't seem as well known outside of Canada, but they are a top quality upgrade. I hope you like the sled as much as I like mine! Have fun with it and bring on the snow!
I know Elka is a great shock... I may contact them to get a price on having them re-tuned for trail use, but i also have the factory, un-used Fox Float 3 EVOL RC2 shocks as well... Those are easily calibrated for nearly any situation, and while they may not be as durable as the Elka units, I'm also not going to be wailing on this machine like a x-country racer would.

Decisions, decisions...

Is some great threads in faq for putting chaincase back to stock. Wonder what gearing they ran? Is definitely a reinforcement plate at front and rear skid mount. Nice!

I know Elka is a great shock... I may contact them to get a price on having them re-tuned for trail use, but i also have the factory, un-used Fox Float 3 EVOL RC2 shocks as well... Those are easily calibrated for nearly any situation, and while they may not be as durable as the Elka units, I'm also not going to be wailing on this machine like a x-country racer would.

Decisions, decisions...
Sounds like you have a first world problem! Good luck with the dilemma... The Evol RC2 does make for tough choices!

Would be even better if your sled came with the nytro ecu and gauge cluster like the early viper race sleds.

Back