• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS Trail Mapping

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
Been trying to figure out this whole GPS thing. I just cannot figure out the mapping deal. Any recommendations on who's mapping to purchase? Who has the best mapping?

Redpine mapping. No issues using their maps in Wisconsin & U.P.

The biggest problem with GPS is the satellite signal. Only a couple times I lost signal. Officially I've Never been lost.

I don't know if that can be overcome by using the most expensive units?

Don't buy any! just download the Polaris ride command app and mount your phone up on the bars in a waterproof case with wireless charging.

Doing this with my iPhone 6 this winter. Wireless charge card $4 , Wireless QI charger $8 , Akron waterproof handlebar mount for iPhone $23. Keeps the phone warm and charged. Will be able to see live data on Hurricane bluetooth flasher and see the Polaris ride command trail maps right up on the handlebar.

We've used VV mapping for years. Regular up dates as necessary, works great. Discounted price for MSA members on their website.

VV mapping. If you ride summer toys, they also do ORV trails so it's best of both worlds

Thanks all for your recommendations. I understand it now, I'm a slow learner. Just never messed around with GPS units of any kind, so this is all new to me. Cell phones don't have good coverage in the area's I ride so not an option.

I too I have been using VV Mapping for years and am very satisfied with it. Like others have mentioned, they also have ORV maps which I also have. The only drawback to VV Mapping is that it will only work with a Garmin GPS but that's all I've ever owned. I now have a Garmin Montana 600 and the VV Mapping maps display quite nicely on it.

I have been mapping trails since 2005. I started sharing my mapping with Jeromy at VV Mapping in 2007. Yes, that is 10 years of actual on the trail mapping, not just an overlay. Every year I and many many others continue to ride and map the Groomed trails and two tracks. Every year we send in our ridden trails to be cleaned up and organized. Buy VV Mapping for the most current up to date and accurate mapping of Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin. I use a Lowrance Chartplotter GPS for exact mapping accurate for up to 32" I utilize at least 5 satellites for my location. Usually 9 to12 Water proof gps excellent in -* temps as well day and night lighting

I too I have been using VV Mapping for years and am very satisfied with it. Like others have mentioned, they also have ORV maps which I also have. The only drawback to VV Mapping is that it will only work with a Garmin GPS but that's all I've ever owned. I now have a Garmin Montana 600 and the VV Mapping maps display quite nicely on it.
Not exactly true. I use a Lowrance Elite 5 to chart the mapping for VV Mapping. When ordering chart chips, simply state which type of unit you are using Garman or Lowrance. I distribute many Chips and GPS units yearly with VV Mapping with Lowrance units. Ie Sherrif dept, search and rescue, friends ect.

Thanks alswagg2, I did go with vvmapping. It came in the mail the other day and the GPS came yesterday. Now I just need to figure out how to get the mapping to show up on the GPS. I'm new to all this technology so understanding has a learning curve. I did call Jeromy and left a message, waiting to hear back form him.

Thanks alswagg2, I did go with vvmapping. It came in the mail the other day and the GPS came yesterday. Now I just need to figure out how to get the mapping to show up on the GPS. I'm new to all this technology so understanding has a learning curve. I did call Jeromy and left a message, waiting to hear back form him.
I can help you if you have a Lowrance unit. I dont use any Garman products. But, as for use, as in any GPS we recommend using a North Up view of the screen. Don't zoom in too far either. Zoom out enough to see surrounding trails, two tracks, ect. Bascially you are watching a digital map.

I'm using a Garmin GPS. Thanks for your reply. I'll get it figured out.

Back