• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grease Zerks

Snowaddict

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX-LE
TWITTER
mstahl88
Are the zerks on an '06 RTX removable? I have 2 in the far rear (ones in the middle of this piece) of the suspension that I cannot get any grease to go into. I took a paper clip to push in the plunger (or whatever the middle of the zerk is) to unclog (not the problem, however) it, but it pushed in and didn't return. So, I'm guessing I need to replace them all together. The bottom actually looks like it's welded right on. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Zerks are welded in and are open meaning there is no ball and spring check valve to keep the grease in.
So, how does a guy get grease to go in? I pump it and it just squirts out whatever space there is left when the gun is attached on the zerk. I'm guessing none is going in at all. All the other spots to grease on the suspension work fine and take in as much as I give it.

So, how does a guy get grease to go in? I pump it and it just squirts out whatever space there is left when the gun is attached on the zerk. I'm guessing none is going in at all. All the other spots to grease on the suspension work fine and take in as much as I give it.

I have found that when you cant get the grease nipples to accept any grease its time to disassemble the component and clean the shafts or joint they service. Rust and old dried out grease plug the fittings.

I have found that when you cant get the grease nipples to accept any grease its time to disassemble the component and clean the shafts or joint they service. Rust and old dried out grease plug the fittings.
That's what I was afraid of. Bigger project than I want, especially because it's gotten 3 rides only in the past 2 seasons. So much for minimal summer storage prep.
Thanks for the info though, guys.

Or try multiple shots of varsol to soften things.

Or try multiple shots of varsol to soften things.
I'm not familiar with this. When I googled it most of the things that came up were Varsol brand paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc? Where can you get it and how would you use it in this application? Thanks

That would be the stuff, available in the paint department/store. Basically I'm suggesting using a solvent to soften the hardened grease and guck. WD40 is an option, or brake cleaner ... watch your eyes. I'm just really low tech and lazy so if something easy takes a few applications and a couple weeks I'm OK with that.

I would take suspension apart and clean up the parts. I bet the areas that had no grease are worn. A well lubed, easy moving suspension makes the sled ride so much better compared to one with skid with lots of friction in it.
My sleds get new grease after a long weekend of riding. Keeps the parts from wearing out to early and moving free.

Back