• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Groomer signal

1nc 2000

Lifetime Member Tim
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha FX Nytro RTX SE
Do the groomers still send out a signal to warn when your near a groomer?
If they do could that signal be converted to light to mount on the windshield so the snowmobile driver can see it?
Here in the UP (Alger county) the groomers run in the daytime and it's very dangerous coming around a blind corner or over a hill.
Had a couple close calls last winter.

I know some of the guys I ride with that have Collett communicators state they hear the groomer beacon as they near and we ride in the U.P. Thought they even mentioned how Collett would donate the beacon receiver to clubs with groomers but am not certain if that still holds true today.

Can't argue with you on that as I do recall them saying how the beacon can get annoying if in congested area and cannot pass them to get out of range. Light would be just as noticeable if not better and not be annoying; especially if listening to music. My Scala Rider G4 communicators do not emit the groomer beacon.

GREAT IDEA!
I use a communicator on my bike, but not my sled.
Mainly because i used to wear the BVS2, but mostly because i play a mean air/mouth guitar that would scare a Hells Angel Hit Man.

I'm thinking something like a flashing light mounted right on top of the windshield or stuck to the middle of it.
The ROCK could make something that could catch the beacon & send it bluetooth to the light.

Where ya at ROCK where ya at?

Here's my big idea.
Take the same technology that is used in the 'find a friend' app. Have all users (snowmobilers) subscribe to the app. This is a cellular based signal system where the groomer could emit a different ID from the users (snowmobilers). When you get within a 1/2 km radius of the groomer the phone would notify you that you are in proximity.

A light or something would have to be rigged on your dash to flip-on or flash as you enter the hazard zone (as the phone may be in your pocket or dash bag). This could evolve into something that warns you of other users/oncoming traffic once you figure it out. But I agree with the previous comments. Twice last year came across a groomer and you realize what 60-70mph closure rate means.

PROS:
the technology already exists - just needs to be reapplied.
being App based makes it easy for all users and snowmobile clubs to universally use.

CONS:
must have cell reception
phone must be kept operational (warm & charged) at all times
highly congested areas may pose issues with too many signals

Food for thought....
MS

Could use both.
Cell phone when it works AND the beacon sent out by groomer.
We just can't use the light as the ONLY source to say there's a groomer around the corner or NOT. That's what scares about technology.
Relying on tech is a double edged sword.
When and IF it works will definitely help, but we still have to use our common sense & judgement & sometimes that means changing our underwear.

I messaged the ROCK to get in on this post

Talk to Travis at Barn of Parts and this could be incorporated into the light system he came up with for signaling incoming riders as to whether there are others behind you or if you are the last rider they will encounter

As usual, it all comes down to how much does it cost? I had Collett communicators for many years before switching to UClear Bluetooth communicators. The Colletts we used were short range 2-way radios, and I am assuming that the groomers all had short range radio transmitters that emitted that annoying "beacon" sound. It was a great idea, but with more and more people swapping to Bluetooth sets, I wonder whether they are still putting the radio transmitters on groomers? If they are, I am assuming that all you would need would be a small short range radio receiver on the right frequency wired to an LED light, rather than to a speaker.

I would like a stand alone reciever that is powered off the sled and mounts on the sled with a warning light.

Thanks for the heads up Steve!

Yes, the Groomer emits the beacon.
IF the groomer has the transmitter installed, it can be detected.

Last I knew Alger County did NOT have them installed.
One of the groomers had obtained the transmitters, however the prior groomer operators saw no need for them & failed to install the transmitters, even though they had them.
Will check with the current groomer operators & see if they have them installed & operating.

Just sent a message to Alger County groomer, he replied immediately.
They do NOT have them.
Will see if I can find them some, they are interested.

The beacons were made by Collett, however the owner recently passed away & Collett is likely to not be seen again.
We will likely have to make the transmitters also for this to work ongoing in the future.

Do currently have this on my to do list.
Will move it up the list a bit for you guys!

Will develop them first as a bright dash light, then look at integrating them into the RAD Lights.
Like the idea of integrating them into the RAD Lights! ;)!

So everyone knows, due to use patterns & use rates, the ONLY way Munising/Alger County can keep up with the grooming in the area is to groom during the day.
They have done quite well with grooming in recent years.
(The area used to groom only at night & it never worked & trails were horrible)
Meaning, the last thing you want to complain about is them grooming during the day.
Unless you like rough trails...

Rockmeister :-o

Just as long as adding this to your to-do list does not bump down the Apex headlight adjuster, Rock.:cool:

Back