• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grooming question!!!

Kkurz

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sno-Pro Limited
(Yamaha powered)
So, I was approached by a cross-country ski club the other day about grooming their trail. They have a drag made for it and would like me to pull it with my sled. The question is, am I going to burn my drive belt pulling this rig? I'm not allowed to go faster than 15km/h. (9miles/hr). I don't mind helping them out if it isn't harming my sled. I do have access to an RS Vector also which I thought would be more suitable. Thanks for the help guys.

I would say yes it could be a little rough on the sled.... The belt and clutches for sure.

depends how much weight the drag is?

And what about overheating? Extra weight and low speed is usually not a good combination.

A VK series sled would be more suitable for this application. You will have overheat/belt issues towing a drag with an RS Vector.

Honestly I would not tow a drag with my XF7000, it’s not designed to tow, maybe it would be fine towing a ski- boose or kids on a sled, but a trail drag all loaded up with snow is a bad idea. I would tell them you would be more than happy to help them find a nice used long track sled, and groom with that sled, and leave the XF out of the equation. There are plenty of used skandics, vk’s, Indy wide tracks, etc out there for an affordable price.

Ya, you guys are all addressing the concerns that I had imagined. I'd like to help them out but it would be better with a sled with a low range gearing.

Most CC ski drags are only a foot wide and just put the two grooves for skis in trail. Its not like a Sled Drag. I would give it a try keeping close eye on engine temp and clutch. This is a good opportunity for some good PR for us snowmobilers and I never pass on a chance for that. If you do this. THANK YOU!

Or a quad with a track system!

I agree, using low range too.

No way I pull anything that slow with a sled unless you want nice groves on the bottom of the drive clutch. It doesn't even fully engage at that low speed. You'd need to gear as low as you could get in the chaincase to make it feasible without slipping the belt.

I agree, using low range too.

No way I pull anything that slow with a sled unless you want nice groves on the bottom of the drive clutch. It doesn't even fully engage at that low speed. You'd need to gear as low as you could get in the chaincase to make it feasible without slipping the belt.
I agree the sled isn't made for it but at least a try would go a long way for PR and would not hurt sled if attention to temp and clutch is made. Cripes I pulled a stuck snowmobile trailer out of the snow with my sled and nothing was harmed at all. Never slipped belt at all. Just cant be hesitant at start.

Apparently last year he had some rugby players pull it by hand... I'm thinking about giving it a try. Would it help if I went to a belt with a softer compound? Does this chassis have a fan that will come on at temperature?

Not sure if a softer belt will help reduce if any grooving the cluctch sheeves, probably will. your sled does come with a fan for cooling. It's great that your helping the ski club in your area but like said above keep an eye on your clutch faces and engine temps when grooming.

It can't be heavier than a snowmobile, so towing it shouldn't be the problem. The problem is if they keep you to that 9mph. Once you get rolling, you need to find that "sweet" spot where the engine & clutches are comfortable. For my Sidewinder towing a 800 E-tec or Rush, it was about 40 mph. Keep in mind that was over 700 pounds with all that track friction. If that drag is just less than a couple hundred pounds & is designed to slide, i don't see a problem.

-use an old belt or put a new one on for riding
-it will be nice deed, because most X-country skiers HATE us, so find a way to get it done

-use the Vector

Back