• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Growling/rattle at idle

Darren Betker

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
apex gt
06 apex rtx er. 5000 miles. Extremely well cared for. New to me. When i fire it up warm or cold doesnt matter i either have somthing wrobg with my primary clutch......but i doubt it because they were swapped on from my other 06 gt and they made no noise then......or else its im gear reduction box. Anyone had experience with this? Seems to either reduce or change pitch sound when brought above idle.

06 apex rtx er. 5000 miles. Extremely well cared for. New to me. When i fire it up warm or cold doesnt matter i either have somthing wrobg with my primary clutch......but i doubt it because they were swapped on from my other 06 gt and they made no noise then......or else its im gear reduction box. Anyone had experience with this? Seems to either reduce or change pitch sound when brought above idle.

How about post a Video? So we can hear it.

Does the growling go away once you are underway, or are you not able to ride at the moment to figure that out? I had a growling like noise once I changed my exhaust donut gaskets, turned out to be a crack in my header pipe, which was apparently exasperated by sealing up the flanges (covered under my 5 year warranty-new EXUP, great investment) Sounded like a growling or something grinding. It would happen or be noticeable when just starting off from a stop, but would go away once at speed. Just a suggestion to check for. I too thought it was something mechanically wrong, when I had NO symptoms prior to changing my donuts. New pipe, all gone.

Both my gt and my wifes rtx have had them changed so i highly doubt thats it.

Update:.......pulled the primary clutch off and fired it up.....sound was gone. Drive clutch is in perfect condition and when i bolted it back on and fired it back up the sound was gone. What i think happened was that for some reason when my wife brought her rtx back from a ride the idle rpm was extremely low causing the weights/rollers to rattle. Now that idle is back up to 1500rpm the clutch is quiet. Not the solution i was prepared for but i will take it. If it happens again i will pay more attention to the tach.

The slide bushings in the primary may be worn out or very dirty. I would suggest servicing the primary. You can do this yourself if you have the grunt tool if not have your local dealer do it. It does not cost a lot to have them do this.
I had my 14k miles primary looked at and taken apart by my dealer. I think it cost me $30 or so. No parts required, just a good cleaning

Back