• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GT or Not?

ktmhk53

Suspended
Greetings,
If the only real difference between the Attak and the Attak GT is the upgraded shocks on the GT, does it make sense to buy the standard Attak and invest the price savings in even high quality shocks like Fox, Elkas, etc?
Would this result in a suspension superior to the GT at approximately the same overall cost?

ktmhk53

Its tough to beat the ride of the shocks on the GT..

I dont think Fox or Elkas make shocks for the monoshock suspension.. (but i could be wrong) if they do i havent seen anyone on here that has used them..

The shocks on the GT are rebuildable too..

I wouldn't waste the Cash on the ATTACK gt. The GYRT Fronts are not any better then the stock skis. I road 2 attacks with them on it last year and my stock shocks where better.

If I was you I'd get a standard Attack and add FOX floats to the front. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Ohlins makes shocks for the Attack

The front shock Ohlin part No. YA 560 is piggyback and has compression and rebound damping.

The upgraded front shock Ohlin part No. is YA 654 is piggyback and has both high/low speed compression and rebound damping.

The mono shock Ohlin part No. is YA 667 is piggyback and has both high/low speed compression and rebound damping.

The mono shock Ohlin part No. for the Apex is YA666.

Apex uses same fronts.

The GT gets the clickers on the front and the electric adjuster for the rear, which is nice.
I personally think the GYT-R shocks on the front are worth the money because they are compression and rebound adjustable and the electric adjust for the rear is cool (not sure how much you'd really use it though).
I guess it comes down to are you willing to spend the extra money? You know what they say, "it only costs a little more to go first-class."

I have rode them both they both ride nice although the gt you can control your rear skid by the handle bars.I would go the regular attack you can always revalve shocks or swith them out in the long run.This is my opinion others may think different I guess it's a personal preferance.What some people like other's don't vise versa.

depending on where u are, i think there were a cpl attak gts on classifieds that people wanted out of the snowcheck.... might be worth looking into, i would assume fall price is higher

dirkdiggler said:
I wouldn't waste the Cash on the ATTACK gt. The GYRT Fronts are not any better then the stock skis. I road 2 attacks with them on it last year and my stock shocks where better.

If I was you I'd get a standard Attack and add FOX floats to the front. I've heard nothing but great things about them.
I agree,and I own an Apex Gt don't ride any different than an ER.

I voted last year with my cash for a regular ER simply because I did not know what GT shocks would cost to rebuild-revalve or replace.

Maybe this will help. Go with the color you like. I know the 07 Demo stuff we rode probably was not set up for heavier guys like me but my impressions of the Mono-shock sleds was the std's rode as good or better than the GT's. Infact none of them rode as good as my 06' Attak with the fat man spring. Now if you want to go GT and depending on your weight you might want to call a guy like bruce @ pioneer. He was telling me last year that Ohlins has several Springs for the E.C. shock. Yamaha's std shocks are quality products IMO.

I love the electronic spring adjustment on my GT..I weigh 170 ibs I notice a Big difference from soft to Hard setting...Once I dialed in the spring that is. Cranked the compression a bit..My old "hard" setting is my new "soft" setting if ya know what I mean..Anyway when I just want a plush ride and I'm going slow...Hit the lil button to soft..When I feel like being agressive..Hit the button to Hard..I've actually adjusted the shock mid-bump..You can do it that quick...Its freekin awesome..Theres no way I would want to stop and use that big clicker thing on the side of the regular apex..

I have an ER and rode a few GT's last year. Personally, I could see the difference, and if anything I thought the GT was too soft. I think if your really into mogul pounding the RTX seemed to handle the best, but for orginary trail rinding the std ER is just fine. Not worth the grand in my opinion, just more gadgets to break.

My GT stayed cranked at the stiffest setting all last year. I'm kind of a set it and forget it type though. The tweaker type might be a little more into tinkering.

I dig on that black Attak GT though. Save your duckets for that baby.
:bling

Back