• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Half power very doggy sled. HeLP

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha 2003 Rx1 mountain
Please help, 03 rx1 mountain. Ran great lots of power from start to finish. Started it up to ride and it soumded very muffled. Took it for a ride and it had very low power in take off and could only get to 55mph. Would barley spin track at take off. Sounds doggy. Ran it anyway for 15 miles or so and it stalled. Started it back up and walla it ran perfectly with all the original power. Now i took it out the other day and im back to half power again like 1 or 2 cylinders are not working. I changed the coils and plugs no difference. Please help!

Also with this sled when i changed the plugs the 1st 2 were dark blackish and the last 2 were light colored whitish grey

I don't know exactly how the ignition is triggered, but it sounds like one of the trigger sensors has failed. Had this happen on a street bike I owned. Only fired 2 out of 4 cylinders.

I have never done it. I bought the machine off of a freiend who only had it for 2 years. He most likley never cleaned them. WOULD THAT CAUSE THE IMTERMITENT POWER LOSS? It ran well for 4 days on an earlier trip but now its sick!

I have never done it. I bought the machine off of a freiend who only had it for 2 years. He most likley never cleaned them. WOULD THAT CAUSE THE IMTERMITENT POWER LOSS? It ran well for 4 days on an earlier trip but now its sick!
Ran many tanks of fuel through it before it lost power.

How long before you need a carb cleaning. Is it yearly or every 2 years?????

Clean them especially if plugs are different colors.

There is crap in your bowls getting sucked up and plugging things. Shut it off and can fall back into the bowl only to get sucked in again later

Carbs are very touchy, anytime the sled is running anything but perfect, clean them. Usually once a year.

Check for fire at each plug. Again, not sure the exact ignition system, but most are CDI and use a simple magnetic sensor. In the case i mentioned one of the 2 had failed. Bike ran on 2 cylinders. If they all have good spark I join the carb cleaning group. First, be sure you are getting fuel at each one. You have dual fuel pumps as well.

The problem was found. There is vaccum hosesthat work fuel pump. One of the hoses was dry rot and allowing air to enter pump. Was not letting fuel to the 2 cylinders. Thanks everyone for your input. Carbs were also cleaned. Purrs like a baby kitten. And roars like a lion top end! Thanks

Back