• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hand warmer glitch

DaveA

Hello all,
Heres a small problem with my 2009 Venture Lite. The grip and thumb warmer indicator shows constant self toggling up through the bars of heat strength to max then cycles back to no bars and then on up through to full bars, over and over. Pushing buttons does nothing. Current is flowing to the heating elements but partially as they are get warm but not hot as before.
Does anyone have experience with this or advice on where to look? Thanks, dave

So both hand and thumb warmers are cycling like that? Certainly sounds like the switch is shorted. Try disconnecting it to confirm. Hopefully it's not something with the ECU. Also check the ECU connector for water or corrosion.

So both hand and thumb warmers are cycling like that? Certainly sounds like the switch is shorted. Try disconnecting it to confirm. Hopefully it's not something with the ECU. Also check the ECU connector for water or corrosion.

Yup, both. Thanks for the suggestions MM. Its going to be a balmy -9C today so I will look at those two details.

Please do report back. Interested in the results.

I removed the switch with its 18'' wire back to the connector and brought it inside. There was a fair amount of snow and ice packed into the outside nooks and crannies of the switch case. Disassembly and visual inspection showed all wires, connector and switch contacts to be good, dry, and clean so it was reassembled and reinstalled on the machine. On start-up all looked good. Heat settings on both thumb and grip were back to functioning normally. Hmm..

This was at fast idle. I'm not convinced its fixed permanently. I'll believe after an extended stretch of cruising speed and that will happen during a trip to the wildness cabin a couple of weeks away. Fingers crossed.

Maybe spraying some contact cleaner inside the switch or WD40 outside might prevent water and ice buildup. The handwarmer switch on my GT is actually hard to activate. May just be dirty contacts inside the switch.

Back