• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handle bar heaters

YammieMan

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX1
I have a 2006 yamaha apex gt, went riding today -28celcius and my hands just could not warm up. Is there any special wirig? And tips and tricks would help, don't want to spend a ton of money, but I'm open to any ideas, some guys are saying to foam the handle bars? Not sure how to do that. One forum I read said that the p7 wiring is better? Thanks everyone

On my Phazer I went with a $32 pair of gauntlets for now as a quick, easy fix. For trail riding this has worked out great and I'm not sure I'll do anything different. I can wear thin driving gloves and stay plenty warm now. I also have better feel of the controls and switches. The wire in the openings makes it easy to get my hands on or out while wearing thin gloves. Thick, well insulated gloves are slightly more challenging but doable.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 74
If you have the stock grips with the stock wiring then there is a fix to make them super hot.
You rewire the grips from series to parallel. This drops this ohms and increases the voltage to the grips .
Never need to go past setting 4 for hot hands.
The pic below shows the updated sub lead but is not needed. Simply cut the wires and rewire like this.
Screenshot 2022-02-05 093340.jpg

Ok! So this doesn't affect the ecm or stator in any way? Some guys are saying this cam be harmful.. have you done this? Any issues? Or why would someone buy these yamaheaters when you can just re wire?

This only works on the 06 grips. I think you would burn off the grips before the stator would go out. As stated before dont go past setting 4.
I have done this to a couple of 06 machines. Later we swapped them out for 07+ bars and Yamaheaters. Having heat all the way to the end of the hooks is alot more comfortable.

Back