• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handling improvement ideas hit me last night

unchained

Expert
Has anyone experimented with lowering the #*$&@ end a notch with the rear arm limiter strap? I dont like giving up travel but im no snow crosser anyhow.

The ski's are centered with 2 bushings, why couldnt you stagger the ski on the spindle to widen the stance another 1-2"? Other than for sidehilling, wider is usually better.

Good thinking, I was gonna try precision skis for that reason, carbides are on the out side, technically widening stance about 4", with stock skis when in the corner I'm getting a bite slide bite slide type steering with the throttle as steady as I can keep it, hoping the precisions will level out the balance a bit.

maybe.....although, I think the center shock and weight transfer have more to do with this than anything on the skis or ski shocks.

either of you tried the coupling blocks and limiter strap adjustment.....?

I have no idea what the reasr limiter strap adjustment would do.....more wheelies perhaps.

by raising the rear limit strap it should take some of the ski pressure off when you let off, making it easier to stear. just my 2 cents

ApexRtxGuy said:
by raising the rear limit strap it should take some of the ski pressure off when you let off, making it easier to stear. just my 2 cents

guess we'll know if someone trys this........seems most havnt touched it. I would think it would also back it pivot more on the center and shorten the "wheelbase" maybe making it unstable....!! lots of stuff to play with.

thank gog for heated garage.

gormleyflyer2002 said:
maybe.....although, I think the center shock and weight transfer have more to do with this than anything on the skis or ski shocks.

either of you tried the coupling blocks and limiter strap adjustment.....?

I have no idea what the reasr limiter strap adjustment would do.....more wheelies perhaps.
I did raise the front arm limiter 1 hole already and that wth putting the torsions on 3 made a noticable diff for sure in cornering in regards to the weight transfer/cornering. Didnt help much for the dreaded unexpected high siding so thats why I am thinking a wider stance would help that.
I think whats the most common among the legendary ultimate cornering sleds is their LOW TO THE GROUND (1997 SX, Gen 2 Poo XCSP, etc). I accept that you cant have your cake and eat it to so hopefully something like lowering the #*$&@ end, etc will split the difference between long travel and confident flat cornering....

have fun, but I think it will make it worse IMO. let us know.

pull the front strap up another hole (2) and I think you'll be closer to the sled you looking for.

I lowered the rear strap 1 hole, front 2 holes moved the springs to hard and softened the rear compres. 2 clicks I have 144 double angled studs up middle with pilot skiis did these adj. over4 rides sled is getting better all the time. need just a touch more skiis pre exit of corner. This sled is growing on me love the lighter handleing. 6" carbides :Rockon:

Keep in mind some states have a max ski stance width so sleds can pass each other head on in narrow trail sections

There is a kit available from JRE that lowers the skid 2.75" with no loss in travel. Similar rear ride height to short track Nytro.
I run my ski stance at 43" both spacers on the outside of the spindle, makes a HUGE difference.

img_20180218_114913082-jpg.138137

There is a kit available from JRE that lowers the skid 2.75" with no loss in travel. Similar rear ride height to short track Nytro.
I run my ski stance at 43" both spacers on the outside of the spindle, makes a HUGE difference.

img_20180218_114913082-jpg.138137
Interesting idea... I suspect the 1/2" width increase per side can be felt. Not sure there would be any structural issues considering it is not torqued down that tight. Cool...

the collar that everything down there resides on should be a bit longer than the collars so you are able to tighten the whole program down without anything binding.

Will have to check if my trailer is wide enough. I am ski to ski now with my VMAX XTC 700 next to the Nytro. Looks like I would need another 1" of width but cool idea.

as far as ski spacing goes. these ski legs are weak at the bottom and I have had to replace both sides due to the bottom splitting. I run gen 1's and hate to give them up, but I believe the non centered pressures are the culprit, as opposed to a single keel ski with pressure centered under leg. Seems to me the leg should be designed as wide as possible and not spaced out with collars. same concept as the high spacing on the cat a arms. stronger and less effect from wear. I replaced my leg bushings countless times. I dont think they ever figured anybody would really use these sleds.

4strokes, you are saying the spindles are weak, right? I agree if so, I bent both of mine this year, could be powder coating stressed aluminum but replaced them with 2013 black from Yamaha versions. They come with new stock bushings (thin and cheap) so kept them in this year but plan to install Oilites or the upgraded bushing set for next year. I have Tuner/Bergstrom kit which I love and wonder about offsetting the spindle to widen the stance although offset, the spindle would not be over the inner runner on the tuners with the Bergstrom triple points. To be honest, after dialing in the suspension late this season, I have minimum inner ski lift so maybe leave well enough alone and centered is the simple way to go... cool idea though.

Back