• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hard shifting Big Bear

Doug

Pro
Anyone have a 01 Big Bear that is really hard to shift gears?
I have tried to lower the idle speed down as low as possible thinking it was the automatic clutch, but it still is a "Bear" to shift gears. It seems to get a little better as it warms up. I use it for snowplowing, so hard shifts make it a pain. Any advice would be great.

just stiff from forward to reverse?

Actually forward to reverse is the easiest. The down shifts seem easier than the up shifts, but that may be because it's physically easier to push down than pull up with my foot.

See if there is a lil screw on the gear box or lower end of the motor. it should stiffen a loosen the friction to the shifter. idk if yamaha has that tho.

does it have synthetic oil in the motor? have you tried to put on a kimpex heel and toe shifter?

2001 Yamaha Big Bear, hard shifting

I found this tread from a google search. I just got
a Big Bear and it was a beast to shift. I read this
tread and looked for an adjustment screw. I found
a Clutch free-play adjustment. I increased the free-play
and it shifts much easier now.

Couple questions. What would happen if I continued
to increase the free-play? Do I run the risk of burning
up the clutch or causing any other damage? If the
free-play is to loose, how would I tell? Would it pop
out of gear?

Thanks, I am new to ATVs and appreciate any help.

Willy

If you had it to loose, your machine would "bump" forward when you are stopped with it in gear. I think thats what would happen, somebody wiser please respond.

Back