• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hardwire garmin nuvi on 09 fx nytro

RAMsledder

Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro
does anyone know where I can get some detailed instruction of how to do this?

Thanks

What wiring do you have for the Nuvi??????
If you just have the acc plugin you can solder some leads onto the 12volt tip and ground strap. Then just wire into the sled. You can find both Batt and Ign( key on ) at the ignition switch harness.

I usually recommend going direct to battery with a switch. Using the ignition sucks because you have to remember to tell your nuvi to stay on every time you turn off your sled because it looses external power.

One more thought. Depending on what Nuvi you use, you may require the stock Garmin adapter that utilizes the plug on the bottom of the nuvi. Others will allow you to use the mini/micro USB connector directly on the GPS with the right cable. This second option is a PITA! Just get a ram mount and use the Garmin Adapter

Just buy one of these or something similar from your local auto parts store:
0921x1__84742_1305768758_1000_1000.jpg

Note you need an in-line fuse on the positive red wire. Connect the red to the battery red and the black to the battery black. You could also connect the black to any bolt holding the sled together. Then just plug in the Garmin cord to the outlet. The Garmin cord only allows about 5v to the GPS. If you cut off the plug end of the Garmin cord and wire to the battery you'll FRY the GPS with 12v.

Using the new outlet you'll have constant power to the GPS so you can use it at trail stops and so you can leave it on and it will stay warm when you go inside to eat for an hour; it won't run down your battery. Just take the GPS inside when you're done riding for the day.

If you just have the car 12 volt adapter/mini usb cable that came with the Nuvi then I would just solder wires on it and tape it up. Less chance of this type of connection coming loose from the vibrations on the sled.
You need that 12v acc end to convert from 12v to 5v .
You could contact Rocmiester and get a Smart Supply from him. This will give you two usb ports to get power from. One for the Nuvi and one for your phone.
12 volt.jpg

Or just go on amazon and buy the direct connection wire; they cost less than $15. Yes, you can go with the cheap rout and solder your original 12V outlet adapter but that isn't a very clean install.

I have an older Nuvi and I used the following with the cradle that the Nuvi comes with (cradle uses the bottom long Garmin connector and fits in the Ram Mount):
1) http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Hardwi...&sr=8-1&keywords=nuvi+760+hardwire+power+cord

2)http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-Garmin...1453376063&sr=8-1&keywords=nuvi+760+ram+mount

Are you using a per-existing Nuvi or are you buying new?

So do I just hook that up to the battery and plug in the GPS?
As long as you have a USB cord coming from your GPS.
As I hinted at before, make sure your GPS doesn't go into PC connection mode if you use the USB plug on the GPS. You probably need a special power cable or use the cradle to power from the big plug....

so I got my gps hooked up but it is always on unless I pull a fuse on the wire. So I tried to install a toggle switch and when I did this I had two positives, one running to the battery and one running to an add a cirtcuit. The ground wen to the battery. Well, they started on fire! What did I do wrong?

Back