• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Harsh chaincase clunk at engagement after shifting to high gear

Jim Bob21

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
vk professional
Hi all. Trying to figure if i should pull the covers off my vk pro chaincase/transmission. its a 2010 and new to me last fall. Im noticing that after shifting from low gear to hi gear, when the clutch engages there is a significant clunk, very loud and noticeable on the right side and ive narrowed it to the transmission. Its like a gear has to change place when i shift back to hi, but doesnt until the shaft starts turning and then a significant clunk when it does. sounds too loud to be good. if i feather the brake as i engage i can eliminate it. any suggestions would help. Ive looked at the parts diagram and cant figure out what or how things change from low to high. Im wondering if a spring has broken or something which may have normally slid a gear naturally into place

thanks, Jim

the jack shaft needs to rotate for the gear to engage when shifting. it was that way on the old vk540 as well.

Thanks for the reply. So is it normal that it would be such loud clunk when it does engage after shifting ? Just sounds harsh unless I purposely try prevent it

normal. my vk clunks and both my apex clunk when shifting.

Back