• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone had a RX1 Engine failure?

I threw 2 rods in my 03 3 yrs ago with a bit over 7,500 miles. changed oil 2 times a year and filter once each yr. Replaced it with an injected 06 Apex motor built by Hauck stroked but stock mill and rode it 4,000 miles last season and threw center 2 rods out of it. I have spoken to a min of 10 people that have popped 03 to 05 motors.

When did they fail on the ride... cold start, wide open throttle for a long time? Or just for no reason while riding?

The first and stock motor happened halfway through a 300 mile planned day on a 30 mile long stretch of railway grade. at 100mph it just went pop could not hear anything go sour.

2nd one I was crossing the firesteel bridges in the UP and went from 45mph to 60 & the exhaust sound changed for 2 seconds I was off the gas and it blew before I could hit the kill switch.

Yamadog you just have bad luck lol! While a few engines have gone south the majority were modified, either NOS or Turbo. Very few stock motors have blown if the truth be known. Out of 10,000 members I'm betting less than 1% have had a blown motor. How you got lucky twice is beyond me. Good thing you have the skills to rebuild I'll bet your damn good at it ;)!

I had my 05 RX1 lose a motor the 1st week I had it.
Brand new, was in the UP doing the 500 mile break in so taking it relatively easy. Was cruising about 45 somewhere near Marquette and bang, lost a rod. A rod bolt had backed out. Blew a hole right threw the side of the motor.
You could see the bolt in the belly pan.
Called the Yamaha dealership.. they didn't believe me :)
Yamaha wanted pictures, then sent a new engine the next day.
No problems since on either the RX1 or my Apex.

RunninRX1 said:
I had my 05 RX1 lose a motor the 1st week I had it.
Brand new, was in the UP doing the 500 mile break in so taking it relatively easy. Was cruising about 45 somewhere near Marquette and bang, lost a rod. A rod bolt had backed out. Blew a hole right threw the side of the motor.
You could see the bolt in the belly pan.
Called the Yamaha dealership.. they didn't believe me :)
Yamaha wanted pictures, then sent a new engine the next day.
No problems since on either the RX1 or my Apex.

Must have been a Friday afternoon build : ) Glad to hear Yamaha took care of it!

I sprayed mine with nitrous, and god knows what CBperf was doing to it before i got, they were stretching head bolts and everything, when I tore into for water pump install gone wrong it looked new! They are tough engines, the only failures I have heard of have been rod bolts loosening up either from the factory or shotty builders.

Of course boosted is a different story lots burning down due to too much air, not enough fuel. However when tuned right and you use your head on what gas goes in the tank they are just as reliable as stock in terms of engine. On my new Apex I'm most worried about the fuel controller and not the engine.

LazyBastard said:
His first one was bad luck. The second one was destined to die due to poorly engineered modifications. In other words, he was asking for it ;)

What was poorly engineered? I had one of the most recognized Yamaha shops build the motor and all we did in mods was put in a stroker crank that Hauck suggested. I am beginning to think I just ride a bit harder than the rest of you guys :jump:

In the same miles that season (4500) my buddy on his new 08 800 Doo - smoked 2 motors, 1 primary and the driveshaft

Yamadog said:
LazyBastard said:
His first one was bad luck. The second one was destined to die due to poorly engineered modifications. In other words, he was asking for it ;)

What was poorly engineered? I had one of the most recognized Yamaha shops build the motor and all we did in mods was put in a stroker crank that Hauck suggested. I am beginning to think I just ride a bit harder than the rest of you guys :jump:

In the same miles that season (4500) my buddy on his new 08 800 Doo - smoked 2 motors, 1 primary and the driveshaft

Didn't your first one go due to a rod nut that backed off?

Did you ever determine what caused the second one to fail?

(LOVED your brown pants story btw... I was rolling...)

Yamadog said:
LazyBastard said:

You know perfectly well that those types of modifications aren't known for their super reliability. It sets everything out of balance. Any small increase in the stroke greatly increases the forces acting on the conrod, which is why high rpm engines tend to have short strokes. How much was it stroked by anyways?

Has anyone had or knows anyone who has had one ?
I have a 03 Rx1 1900 miles, engine seized on a easy day trip. I have been told the oil filters work lose and leak out oil. Oil light did not come on and I didn’t see any signs of oil leakage. Engine was out of oil. So check your oil! I think I will part it out. The Rx1 is the tractor of snowmobiles. It is heavy and just about impossible to lift up if you tip it.

Back