• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Have this loud grinding like noise while braking on a hill?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
Ok, I can't seem to figure this one out.

I added a Camo Extreme 162" track to my sled with Wahl brother drivers and it's working splendidly except when I'm braking going down a hill.

When braking going down a hill I hear this horribly loud grinding like noise. I thought it was maybe my chain was too loose. I have checked and reset the chain tension several times and everything seems fine.

I popped off the speedometer cover and checked the speedo bearing (new this season) and all is well. The chains case bearings (one of them, upper I think) is also new this season.

I checked the jack shaft bearing (also new this season) and it seems fine as well. I haven't popped open the chaincase yet but I still have the noise when the track is breaking going down hill only.

I have rotated the track by hand while the sled is on the stand and it seems fine.

I think it must be the 2 1/2" track bunching up (there's very little room for it) and rubbing on the top of the tunnel (but it doesn't sound like it) as it goes over the drivers during hard breaking.

I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

Frosty

Dumb question, but did you check if your your brake pads are worn out?

How could they be worn out?

Heck, this is only the sixth year on the stock brake pads. Good idea.

It doesn't do it when I brake on the trail at all though so I never looked there but, the brake disc looks good.

I did go to a lightweight aftermarket brake disc this year for the first time, maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks

Frosty

How tight do you run the track? Might try tightening it up and check for the sound or change in sound??? Could it be hitting the tunnel side as that 16 is probably very tight
How does the 16 inch track fit in the tunnel?. I looked at mine and only have 15 1/2 inches between the drop brackets. thought about going to a 162 camo extreame as a friend wants to buy my 159. Thought I read you moved to a 16.

got this same exact thing first when having 18 tooth, sounded like chaincase. Put 19, same sound braking or letting gaz off, changed chain, same thing, new bearing everywhere. Disassembled chaincase another time, put all together, gone .

Go figure

Thanks guys, it sounds like I should probably open up the chaincase and take a look.

Tundra, we seem to have alot of the same issues. Thansk again buddy for saying that at least one other person knows what I'm talking about.

Maybe the nut on the upper sprocket came off or is loose as heck?

Who knows?

Frosty

I had the same sort of thing happening for a while. I noticed my reverse wasn't so smooth, engine braking was louder and then finally the bottom chaincase bearing let go. I couldn't believe it because the bottom one is open and immersed in oil and it got chewed up bad all of a sudden. I know it was a gradual thing because now everything is silky smooth.

Frosty,

If you would have seen the lower chaincase bearing you would have shaken your head. I have seen the top ones and sealed bearings get chewed up, but I was surprised by the lower one immersed in oil getting a beating.

Again, I knew something was going on because my reverse was starting to act up early this year and the squealing noise got louder and finally it got so loud it was unbearable. It was embarrassing to show up at the parking lot at the lake when everyone was loading up their sleds. I showed up with this crazy high pitched squeal and grinding noise and everyone was staring at the Yamaha. Not good press!

Anyway, I would check out and change your lower bearing for sure!

Thanks Guys!

I'll check the brake pads and probaly change the lower bearing in the chaincase. Like I said earlier, it's the only one I didn't change last season because it felt nice and smooth. Go figure.

Frosty

Hey frostbite! What did you find was the problem? Was it the bearing? Just picked up a rtx making that loud unbearable braking sound..... I also have the walbros extrovert drivers...

Hey frostbite! What did you find was the problem? Was it the bearing? Just picked up a rtx making that loud unbearable braking sound..... I also have the walbros extrovert drivers...
Frostbite hasn't signed into TY for eight years. I'd say start a new thread with all of your own specifics. Good luck.

Back