• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Have to post this about a recent clutch job I am working on....FYI

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
A long time friend purchased a turbo sled from someone, which had some problems....so I need to tell this story so everyone can learn and be safe.

This sled was purchased for a good price because it had some issues. Don't know if the original previous owner really knew what he was doing....but the sled was even brought to a very well known dealer who is on this site. I can't mention the name, but after working on this sled, I am very disappointed that these simple issues (that the sled was brought there for) were not addressed and could have costed someone some major damage and/or disfigurement. Was there 3 different times for the same issues and still was never caught.... (Shaking my head). Sled couldn't even move under it's own power and would die right when you hit the throttle.

I know bolts come loose and things happen, but to bring a sled to a reputable Yamaha dealership and not fix the stripped bolt where oil was pouring out....really miffs me. That isn't the worst of the problems....

The primary clutch was not working properly, was brought in because of this issue and the other issues. Engagement was 5,400 and you had to use a lot of throttle to just keep it running. The dealership told the customer that there were some grooves in his primary and the primary should last him the rest of the season. WRONG!!!! I am keeping these clutch sheaves to show people that come over to my house that you just shouldn't throw a set of weights in a primary clutch along with a monster long primary spring and expect them to work. The result was the weights were so tight that the clutch would not even retract back to idle position. This caused the sheaves to get so hot that the sheaves were melted!!! YES, I SAID MELTED! Deep pockets in the sheaves and cracks that would have blown up and took out lots of things....maybe even a hand or foot. This should have been looked at closer and caught! Customer notified and new parts put in. They never even took the belt off. If they would have, they would have noticed the weights were stuck, to the point where you cannot move them by hand. This saddens me as I have visited this dealership many times and had service done.

I thanked my friend for getting upset at the dealer, that he stopped going there and brought the sled to me to work on.

Lessons learned - Do not try and piece together a clutch kit. Spend the money, do the research and buy a well known kit that works.

20170122_101053.jpg
20170122_120231.jpg
20170122_120251.jpg

Wow!

Sled was picked up last night.

New primary sheaves
Secondary machined for 8DN and coil bind
New Thunder Products clutch kit and helix
New banjo bolt for oil line on turbo (was stripped)
Tune PC5
Get Pod300 programmed for recording

Results:
One hell of a happy guy by the smile on his face!!!!

Sled was picked up last night.

New primary sheaves
Secondary machined for 8DN and coil bind
New Thunder Products clutch kit and helix
New banjo bolt for oil line on turbo (was stripped)
Tune PC5
Get Pod300 programmed for recording

Results:
One hell of a happy guy by the smile on his face!!!!
He's gonna #*$&@ himself when he gets on it with working clutching. Great job Nos-Pro!

I was there & saw EXACTLY what NOS-PRO is talking about. I know I'm not good at clutching, but this was terrible. I couldn't move the weights at all with my fingers, not an 1/8 of inch. But, live & learn!

Well, I am the guy that Terry helped out. Terry, I cannot thank you enough for the AWESOME job on clutching and tuning you did on my Turbo viper......truly remarkable.! The scary part is if it would have been running and tuned correctly, the first 120 mph RR grade run would have probably spelled disaster for the sled and possibly my life if the primary would have come apart! Scary #*$&@!

I haven't been able to take the beast out for a good high speed ride other than around the yard, but I can tell even in the yard, it is damn near perfect. The new clutch set up feels spot on! The way it was set up before with the high engagement it was a real pain to crawl around the yard or in the garage. With all the studs in the track my I was leaving "stud trails" all over my concrete driveway and garage. Now the clutch engages at 2800 and I can move it anywhere easily.....And it pulls like a beast out of the hole. Have family vacation commitments next weekend, so wont be able to test in Northern WI or the UP until Feb 10th.......

A few weeks ago I really thought I had just bought the wrong sled. After spending quite a bit of money at a dealer and getting sled back that didn't run right and was in no way repaired, I really didn't know which way to turn......Then I remembered this guy from Manitowoc that helped set up my Holzman 90 shot N20 kit to perfection on my Apex.....called him, and he said, "bring that thing up here, I can make it work......He did just that!

NOS-PRO might be an understatement.....Turbo,PCV,POD300,clutch PRO is more like it!

Ha, not to ramble, but something that really stood out in my experience with Terry is his uncanny ability to properly communicate and educate. His passion for working on sleds and helping people out is top notch! I learned more about clutching and the PCV,Pod300 than all the reading I have done in the past couple of months in about 2 hours.

Thanks Terry!

Mike

Terry is a Great Guy with a huge amount of knowledge, and will take time to help a fellow sledder!!

Well, I am the guy that Terry helped out. Terry, I cannot thank you enough for the AWESOME job on clutching and tuning you did on my Turbo viper......truly remarkable.! The scary part is if it would have been running and tuned correctly, the first 120 mph RR grade run would have probably spelled disaster for the sled and possibly my life if the primary would have come apart! Scary #*$&@!

I haven't been able to take the beast out for a good high speed ride other than around the yard, but I can tell even in the yard, it is damn near perfect. The new clutch set up feels spot on! The way it was set up before with the high engagement it was a real pain to crawl around the yard or in the garage. With all the studs in the track my I was leaving "stud trails" all over my concrete driveway and garage. Now the clutch engages at 2800 and I can move it anywhere easily.....And it pulls like a beast out of the hole. Have family vacation commitments next weekend, so wont be able to test in Northern WI or the UP until Feb 10th.......

A few weeks ago I really thought I had just bought the wrong sled. After spending quite a bit of money at a dealer and getting sled back that didn't run right and was in no way repaired, I really didn't know which way to turn......Then I remembered this guy from Manitowoc that helped set up my Holzman 90 shot N20 kit to perfection on my Apex.....called him, and he said, "bring that thing up here, I can make it work......He did just that!

NOS-PRO might be an understatement.....Turbo,PCV,POD300,clutch PRO is more like it!

Ha, not to ramble, but something that really stood out in my experience with Terry is his uncanny ability to properly communicate and educate. His passion for working on sleds and helping people out is top notch! I learned more about clutching and the PCV,Pod300 than all the reading I have done in the past couple of months in about 2 hours.

Thanks Terry!

Mike

Thank you Mike! Looking forward to riding with you soon!
You are very welcome bud! Glad I could help you out ;)!

I was there & saw EXACTLY what NOS-PRO is talking about. I know I'm not good at clutching, but this was terrible. I couldn't move the weights at all with my fingers, not an 1/8 of inch. But, live & learn!

That clutch sheave is my "show and tell" conversation piece now.

Back