• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Haven't heard any talk about head to head races against the 850 etec

Just spent 3 days with an 850 and my XTX, and while there was a lot of talk the 850 guy never really wanted to race. Kinda funny. It was pretty poor conditions for that though, with over 2' of new snow the 3 days we were in the UP. And, we did mostly off trail and back country riding. I will say, I rode more than a few miles on the 850, and it's a phenomenal sled. Veey impressed with it. I still like our engines, but Doo does such a good job setting up a balanced chassis and suspension. My guess is with equal traction, it will be a close race to 70 or 80, then we're going to pull away pretty easy.

Seems the 850 is inconsistent.....Again. rpm fade during break-in is showing up. Not all.

I like to joke with them on DooTalk.....Best 3 out of 5. And it has to be back to back.(Cause of fade issue)Lol! Makes their stomachs turn.

I'm a fan of thier totally inconsistent 800/850's. '16's seem to be the most consistent etec's of the bunch.

Can a Sidewinder run with one..... IMHO, 1000' is going to be closer than we'd like.
Roll race, say 40mph......Not even close. Sidewinder win!!

Having said that, I rode with a couple fairly current axys 800s, and that wasn't even a race. Even when they got out front on a hokeshot, I came past them so fast by a few hundred feet I almost sucked them off their sled. Had some fun with a d and d turbo cat (suz motor) that was supposed to be at 230 or 40 hp. I held him off for a couple, then he made a clutching change and got around me by a couple lengths. Not bad for a stock winder with 100 miles on it. Mine is an XTX which is geared down quite a bit from the 137s, so I'm sure that is making a difference too.

Having said that, I rode with a couple fairly current axys 800s, and that wasn't even a race. Even when they got out front on a hokeshot, I came past them so fast by a few hundred feet I almost sucked them off their sled. Had some fun with a d and d turbo cat (suz motor) that was supposed to be at 230 or 40 hp. I held him off for a couple, then he made a clutching change and got around me by a couple lengths. Not bad for a stock winder with 100 miles on it. Mine is an XTX which is geared down quite a bit from the 137s, so I'm sure that is making a difference too.
Is your xtx 1.25 track or 1.6,what are the xtx,s geared with,my LTX is 21/41

Is your xtx 1.25 track or 1.6,what are the xtx,s geared with,my LTX is 21/41

I have an XTX and have walked three 850s on different occasions over the last few weeks. It isn't even close. There is no 60-70mph non-sense that I've been reading here...they line up and it has been pretty much game over. I'm still waiting to run into "a fast" 850 - don't think they exist. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an XTX and have walked three 850s on different occasions over the last few weeks. It isn't even close.

If that's the case - that's fantastic! I'm not saying our sidewinders are slow - mine feels incredibly fast and the races I have had have proved that. Only saying from seat of the pants the 850 is certainly no slouch.

What is the ski lift like on your XTX? I've got the fox shocks, and i'm not 100% sure on the setup in them, but I had very, very little ski lift - I was sort of expecting a wheelie machine with this uncoupled skid??

If that's the case - that's fantastic! I'm not saying our sidewinders are slow - mine feels incredibly fast and the races I have had have proved that. Only saying from seat of the pants the 850 is certainly no slouch.

What is the ski lift like on your XTX? I've got the fox shocks, and i'm not 100% sure on the setup in them, but I had very, very little ski lift - I was sort of expecting a wheelie machine with this uncoupled skid??

I have an XTX SE with 1.6 track (with fox) I'm pulling skis at 70mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the 2.25" power claw track, with the 24/50 gearing and 8 tooth drivers. Works out to about 105 mph, is what i've been told.
I have a BTX LE with the 2.25 it is a pain to hook up on the trail most trail sleds take me off the line and then it's game over the 2.25 just folds lugs over I would love to ride a 1.75 BTX I'm thinking of a track swap I've seen 101mph on my speedo

Just got back from trip from dist 9 Markdale area. Rode over 500 miles with my 137 LE winder and 2 guys with Doo's. 1 16 renegade X 800 and 1 17 renegade X 850. After the first 100 miles for break in and time for the belt to cure/ break in I let the hammer drop.
The winder crushed both doo's. From start to finish. Raced from dead stop and rolling serval times and the winder was fastest in 500ft or less every time.
7 Back to back 1/2 mile runs and the clutches/ belt was barely warm.

Trail riding: after the first 100 mile day I knew it needed some major adjustments to be able to corner and hang with the doo's.
After making the adjustments the winder out cornered and rode better than both doo's by far.

Yes the 850 felt lighter and was snappy but in the end after adjustments the Winder just plane beat it on the track and the trails.

Just got back from trip from dist 9 Markdale area. Rode over 500 miles with my 137 LE winder and 2 guys with Doo's. 1 16 renegade X 800 and 1 17 renegade X 850. After the first 100 miles for break in and time for the belt to cure/ break in I let the hammer drop.
The winder crushed both doo's. From start to finish. Raced from dead stop and rolling serval times and the winder was fastest in 500ft or less every time.
7 Back to back 1/2 mile runs and the clutches/ belt was barely warm.

Trail riding: after the first 100 mile day I knew it needed some major adjustments to be able to corner and hang with the doo's.
After making the adjustments the winder out cornered and rode better than both doo's by far.

Yes the 850 felt lighter and was snappy but in the end after adjustments the Winder just plane beat it on the track and the trails.
Great to hear. Especially, that it has been problem free. Care to share what adjustments you made? I also have an LTX-LE and want input on how to get handling dialed in.

image.jpeg
Great to hear. Especially, that it has been problem free. Care to share what adjustments you made? I also have an LTX-LE and want input on how to get handling dialed in.

I went over Sled first checking clamps, bolts, fluids, cable adjustments, etc.

Adjustments made for 225lb rider and gear.

1) Sled is all stock except C&A 6.5 ski's with slim Jim Dooly's & side fine, custom 4th wheel kit, 192 1.325 studs, BRP 8" adjustable bar riser, OSP secondary clutch adjuster and misc window and touring bags.

2) front shocks set at 0 spring tension, #1 on Compression and middle/stock rebound.

3) middle shock spring 1.25" spring compression and # 2 on Comp/damp.

4) rear springs set at 2 on cam adjuster.

5) rear shock # 2 on comp and stock/ middle damp.

6) removed adjuster blocks but left shaft on flat spot for transfer.

Last edited:
I have a BTX LE with the 2.25 it is a pain to hook up on the trail most trail sleds take me off the line and then it's game over the 2.25 just folds lugs over I would love to ride a 1.75 BTX I'm thinking of a track swap I've seen 101mph on my speedo

I have a B-TX with the 1.75" track, & I love it! It hooks up & checks out like a rocket! Unless you're going to be riding off trail/mountains all the time, I would encourage you to make the change.

View attachment 125100

I went over Sled first checking clamps, bolts, fluids, cable adjustments, etc.

Adjustments made for 225lb rider and gear.

1) Sled is all stock except C&A 6.5 ski's with slim Jim Dooly's & side fine, custom 4th wheel kit, 192 1.325 studs, BRP 8" adjustable bar riser, OSP secondary clutch adjuster and misc window and touring bags.

2) front shocks set at 0 spring tension, #1 on Compression and middle/stock rebound.

3) middle shock spring 1.25" spring compression and # 2 on Comp/damp.

4) rear springs set at 2 on cam adjuster.

5) rear shock # 2 on comp and stock/ middle damp.

6) removed adjuster blocks but left shaft on flat spot for transfer.

C&A XCS ski's? They work well?

Back