• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Having issues with new to me 2014 viper. Doesnt have much power.

Double A

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
12 Apex
Took my Viper for my first ride today. I bought it a month and a half ago. I am not impressed with the power. My old 2012 apex RIPPED!!
I think something is wrong with it. It has good power in the lower rpns but wont rev over 7200
Its a 2014 SR VIPER LTX it has 6900 miles on it. It has an excel performance cold air intake installed.
It has a Hauck power sports 45/41 secondary helix
Primary weights have been added to to help with backshift
stock can.
1) First of all it starts hard ( will reflash help this)
2) Engine breaks up at around 7200 RPMS and wont go any higher. This even happened going down a road rather than in deep snow.
3) When lightly pressing the throttle occasionally there is a hesitation and it wants to quit for a second, but doesn't stall.
4) Bogged even worse in the deep powder. (Do I need a deflector on the skid plate for the exhaust outlet??)
I cannot remember for sure. I think it ran fine at first and then got worst the longer I rode it. Even then it didn't seem to have as much power as my old 12 apex. I hear these engines should be really strong.
I seem to remember hearing it hit the rev limiter at the beginning of the ride. Then suddenly it went away.
The snow was very deep today, and the temperature was 5 degrees.

Tach has a recall on it. Are you seeing 7200 but actually hitting rev limiter? If not your clutching is so far off I would think broken clutch springs. 89-9100 rpm is where you need to be.

If this issue started right after running in deep powder it might be a problem related to the intake. Me and a friend were crossing a lake with about 30 inches of powder. My 14 rtx with mpi had no problems as long as I maintained speed and I never let the nose down. My friends Ltx Le 16 with mpi had the exact same issue you described. His nose dipped into the powder and looked like a snow plow. After going to the dealer they determined the intake may have sucked in a bit of the fine powder on the lake crossing and after some time the snow melted and the moisture dried up and the issue resolved itself. We ran the lake at speed for about 8 miles with out stopping, he was lucky to get off the ice.

I am always suspect of clutch changes to essentially stock machines. The cold air intake will not net you enough of a change to warrant a change in clutch calibration. Sounds like you are shifting out way too soon and lugging the engine. The Viper motor makes good torque, but 7200 is way below its power peak.

I would put the clutch back to stock, and get the reflash done to allow the engine to rev out to 9400-9500, so you are comfortably into the flat part of the hp curve.

I guess the only other thing he had done along with the intake was a can. But it was too loud for him any put it back to stock.

I’m not sure on some of the technical questions but when you go from a power steering apex to a non turbo viper I’d imagine the disappointment with power. You just lost 35ish Hp. Before I bought my sidewinder I was on a apex. When I went from apex to my wife’s vector from time to time the fun factor from having that constant pull from 70-100 mph was lacking for sure. On the other hand the new ride position and new chassis makes up for some of the loss in power.

My viper beats a stock newer Apex everywhere and every condition. Something is wrong. Clutching.
Guess I learned something new today. Never thought a stock 130hp sled would run with a stock 160+ Hp sled.

Guess I learned something new today. Never thought a stock 130hp sled would run with a stock 160+ Hp sled.
My 12 apex was supposedly 150 hp but I kept seeing that the power was pumped up and was actually lower. This viper should be 130 HP plus the cold air intake should give it 8 more hp bringing it to around 138 Hp in a lighter chassis than the Apex. Shouldn't it feel just about the same as the apex?

Stopped by the guys house that I bought it from and he gave me all the stock primary weights and the stock secondary helix. Im going to install a new set of ngk iridium plugs and take it out and see how It feels before I go back to stock clutching. So if I contact my local Yamaha dealer they will reflash the ECU and replace the Tac for free under the recall? Or should I be prepared to owe some money?

My 12 apex was supposedly 150 hp but I kept seeing that the power was pumped up and was actually lower. This viper should be 130 HP plus the cold air intake should give it 8 more hp bringing it to around 138 Hp in a lighter chassis than the Apex. Shouldn't it feel just about the same as the apex?

I had a 12 apex xtx. I thought they were rated a little higher maybe 160ish. Maybe set up was different or I just got lucky and had a hot sled. Completely stock. I would run several of my buddies 800 doos and walk away from them after they got a bit of initial jump on those lighter sleds. I loved apex sleds. Had a couple. Ones got 13,000 miles and still runs like a champ. I skipped the viper sleds. Never rode one. I have raced a few though with my apex completely stock vs completely stock and it was about the same race as my buddies doos. Viper got the jump but apex pulls away after that. Non studded vs non studded.

My opinion on Ecu and tac.... call a dealer you trust or ask for people’s opinions in your area who to go to. Call chosen dealer and let them know your situation and details so you know what your in for price wise and what to expect from them. Then do the other work yourself if your confident with doing it. Or ask dealer about going thru everything to get it right. Riding seasons are too short to not have your sled perform up to standards.

PITA

Regardless of the age old Apex vs Viper debate, I think the point is the OP's Viper should run better than it does now. Your shift RPM should at least be 8800 or more to get the best performance. If not we need to find out why. Check, belts, springs and other obvious things first. If it runs and starts nice it's probably not plugs, but it never hurts to change them. Is the track moving freely, wheels, etc.. Let us know what fixed it,

Back