1. PLEASE READ: If you have problems logging in with your old password, click the Forgot Password link in the log in screen to get an email verification to request a new password or click Here. If you haven't received a new password from the forum please email your username and password to webmaster@totallyamaha.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All hotmail, msn, outlook, live email accounts are not receiving email notifications. The only way to remedy this is to add @totallyamaha.com to your safe senders list in order to receive notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Head stud install

Discussion in 'SR Viper Talk' started by TD Max, May 10, 2017.

1. TD Max

TD Max Lifetime Member Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Curious what is involved with doing a 1 in 1 out head stud installation on the Viper? I've heard easy, and I've heard that engine needs to be moved and possibly cam/gears in the way for access.

3. jeffgilbert

jeffgilbert Pro

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2015 SR Viper RTX LE 1.7
    Wondering the same question

4. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Surely the cams need to come out. Looking for a tutorial that's here somewhere but not having any luck.
    image.jpeg

5. Yamadog

Yamadog Lifetime Member Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

It can be done in the sled but cam chain and head come off and a special tool is required to set the cam timing. One tooth off and it's over

6. lakercr

lakercr Tech Advisor Tech Advisor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Jan Ove (rxrider) did this years ago on his RX1. I'm pretty sure he detailed it in his sled garage page.

Head stayed on, and he built a special tool to back the studs out one at a time.

7. lakercr

lakercr Tech Advisor Tech Advisor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member