• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Header Heat Shield Failures??

Turboflash

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. PEFI Stg 3R
This year alone I've replaced 3 on stock exhaust systems. They all cracked and pieces fell out of them. Junk!

PowderFalcon

Pinnin' it!
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 Sidewinder SRX
This year alone I've replaced 3 on stock exhaust systems. They all cracked and pieces fell out of them. Junk!

I think that is a key point. My heat shield failed the 1 and only time i ran with the stock muffler in Quebec. I think stock muffler tune makes too much heat, it was noticeably different with how hot the sled was. I've never ran the stock muffler since and knock on wood, no failure.

Richard Hodgins

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha powered CAT
Here's the thread on using the viper shield. It works great!

Pstn head

TY 4 Stroke Master
Been getting requests for the header heat shields. With age they seem to crack and come apart. Yamaha updated them on newer models, but they seem quite pricey. Pretty sure I can offer better quality at a lower price, but just curious as to how many have had issues with them failing.
Yes, heat shield, and a better maybe thicker wall flex bellow joint on the pipe from manifold to Turbo, please.

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
I have had several stock heat shields fail. Had better luck with the header blanket from Tommacat but still have to replace it when the bellows on a header fails.

KnappAttack

24X ISR World Drag Racing Champion
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
Travis, you better put a rush on it. This is a new shield this season with 1200 miles on it broke right in half yeaterday. It seems cheaper and thinner then my older updated shield that went years. New one is literally crumbling and cracking fast, like the week I put it on! I believe the original stainless one holds up better. Had a sled in last week that had the original one on it. It had a piece cracked and broke off of it but was still going.

Gotta have something better than this OEM China made POS!

022B7357-4B34-4A7F-9A1E-0B899B200F38.jpeg

Had to do a patch job with some heat shield material I had kicking around and rivet it to the shield to "glue" it back together.
Who knows, maybe it will cushion the vibrations tearing the factory shield apart, at least one can hope I guess.

25F352DE-3773-4ED9-B3F9-DFA14379784C.jpeg

Last edited:

1nc 2000

Lifetime Member Tim
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha FX Nytro RTX SE
Anyone try putting rtv around the mounts to try and deaden the vibration on heat shield?

Clintww

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2001 SXR. 2005 RX1. 2017 Sidewinder
Does the problem come from louvers that are pushed closed or plugged with ice causing the shield to overheat?

Motorhead

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 SW LTX-LE
Still on my original shield with my 2017.
I thought the problem with these were happening because people were trying to work around this shield instead of removing it completely, when performing maintenance! Thought that because mine comes off at least 3-4 times per season, but now we see that they’ve gone cheap with newer models!!!

DMCTurbo

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
I bought a new one last year and it cracked first weekend. It's now held together with foil tape. And they aren't cheap!

SideHogger

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Ltx-Le Sidewinder
Been getting requests for the header heat shields. With age they seem to crack and come apart. Yamaha updated them on newer models, but they seem quite pricey. Pretty sure I can offer better quality at a lower price, but just curious as to how many have had issues with them failing.
Obvious need Travis. BOP to the rescue!!!