• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heard possible new update ECM

gpxsrx

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
way to many 2 strokes
At dealer today was told possiable new ECM reflash for sr vipers.

Pioneer Motorsports told me the same thing last spring so I haven't done the 16 flash yet on my 15 Viper.

I don't believe a flash will completely correct it but they may be able to fine tune what they have to reduce a few issues.

With the cold weather that we've had I've seen a rash of starter failures and read about many others that have failed. These failures are occurring on all the Yamaha engines and in recent weeks some aftermarket vendors are selling out of replacement starters. The problem that I'm seeing is a failure with the internal magnets in the starter motors and it appears to me when that happens it can cause gear and one way clutch failures. I'm starting to believe that all these starter issues may not be the direct result of the ECU kick back that's been reported. If you have a failure I'd recommend pulling the starter apart to inspect the magnets to see if that was actually the cause.

I do think its odd that i have been hearing about starters going out and the updated solenoid for 2018 are on national backorder, as well as 4 prong relays

I hope they do a new flash. I love the way mine runs, but it has the weirdest idle and it does start kinds hard some times. One can only hope

they can keep their updates...i did the very first update and its been stellar ever since...mine only had a hot start issue on the original ecm code...now hot or cold let the pump prime and it fires right up every time

I hope they do a new flash. I love the way mine runs, but it has the weirdest idle and it does start kinds hard some times. One can only hope
My Viper was reflashed. Prior to that it would just quit while reading a map or whatever. Be standing away and just quit. Only once in a while. After the red lash, problem solved. Started first try no matter how cold. No more stalling. Problem was, after the re flash, my speedo was 12 miles an hour off. Odometer was that much off too. So just last week, the re-reflashed it. Now speedo and odometer are right on the money. But.... takes 2 tries every time to start. But no stalling

Fix the hot or cold start issue, extend the rev limiter to 9400.... And we would all be frican happy. Jeesh lol is that so much to ask for!

Mine will fire briefly, like 1 two sec then miss then fire and stay running. i just hold the key until it does stay running. this at normal operation temps, which is about 3 to 4 seconds of cranking. anyone else seeing this?
i have a 2015 but bought in 16 as a carry over it was reflashed once for sure.
15 below to 0 degrees, it always takes two attempts of 5 sec or so of cranking,no matter how long i let the fuel pump prime.
Normal 5 to 25 degree day usually it just fire's.
Do i need to update my flash?

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people think the fuel pump has to get done cycling before starting? This motor is just like a car or street bike. How many of you cycle the fuel pump on your car before starting it?

I really think the problem is that the motor isn't top dead center when we stop. Just like the Yamaha dirt bikes. If you don't find top dead center you will be kicking forever.

I don't understand why so many people think the fuel pump has to get done cycling before starting? This motor is just like a car or street bike. How many of you cycle the fuel pump on your car before starting it?

Some cars out there also can struggle to start if you don't give the pump time to pressure up the injectors. The pump cycling when the key is first turned on is not built into FI engines by mistake. There is a reason for it.

Back