• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heard possible new update ECM

So happy we haven't had a single starting issue on both our 2014 viper and 2014 zr7000! Both sleds starts right away each and everytime hot, cold never had the relay issue....or any of the other #*$&@ i read on here! Not sure what i have doing right but i am not changing my routines (sleds are alway in garage on battery tender when no in use, turn keys immediately no priming, always warmed to operating temp, hand thumb warmers alway off before start, new fuel at beginning of season) both sleds are running original plug and battery! I have no clue what is making both our 14's with original flash be as reliable as they been but i am not changing my routines..lol
I have even thought of changing our starters as a prevenative maintenance mesure but the starters haven't changed from 2014!

I also hope they release new update. It’s kind of sad when you try to start it when it’s minus 15F and takes 10 tries and backfires so loud everyone in your group starts ducking thinking some is shooting at them

Ever notice on all Japanese Yamahas the kill switch kills everything including starter yet on our Vipers Starter will still turn over even with kill engaged.

The Apex will crank with kill switch engaged as well.

So happy we haven't had a single starting issue on both our 2014 viper and 2014 zr7000! Both sleds starts right away each and everytime hot, cold never had the relay issue....or any of the other #*$&@ i read on here! Not sure what i have doing right but i am not changing my routines (sleds are alway in garage on battery tender when no in use, turn keys immediately no priming, always warmed to operating temp, hand thumb warmers alway off before start, new fuel at beginning of season) both sleds are running original plug and battery! I have no clue what is making both our 14's with original flash be as reliable as they been but i am not changing my routines..lol
I have even thought of changing our starters as a prevenative maintenance mesure but the starters haven't changed from 2014!
I have had all the Flashes but have never had a issue Same no prime starting method as you,Original battery and Charge batt well every month during storage. Except for first year on original flash back in winter of 13-14 last ride of year warm temps like 50- 60 deg F here got P130 code and extremely low idle all within about 15 minutes just that one time. MtCooler had terrible HotStart issues everytime we would go for lunch. Original flash would refuse to start using all methods. I would like to see entire new wiring harness and a Mitsubishi Yamaha programmed ECU to go with it. Eliminate the draws and fix the programming Cat cannot seem to get right. But all issues have been livable for ours. Always thought if I lived in a remote area it would really concern me enough to go buy a simple 2 st like Yellowknife did. That was till this weekend when at -15f all the 4 st's started fine and my buddies 16 800 Cat just refused to start and flooded itself out beyond belief. Common denominators? Its a Snowmobile and its a CAT!

cannondale27 said:
Ever notice on all Japanese Yamahas the kill switch kills everything including starter yet on our Vipers Starter will still turn over even with kill engaged.

The Apex will crank with kill switch engaged as well.
You sure about that? Never saw a Yamaha that did that. Well there goes that theory. Who knows? Sometimes its best to either scrap the whole system like Griz did with Nytro conversion or just live with variables and be happy. I have chosen last option for forseeable future.

My 2015 (Turbo) (Cold) takes two times to start . First time it stumbles .....if you rush the second start it cranks for a bit ......if you wait a few seconds it hits right away on the second try ....its annoying as hell , Once in awhile it will start on the first try . if I hit the start as soon as I power on it will crank and crank ..Now I wait till the fuel pump stops .....then it stumbles on the first start .....then runs on the second .....Has done this from new .......not sure if it has been flashed . Bought of the floor as a left over late 2016 and added the yamaha turbo kit .Sled has 600 miles on it now .....and has a 2018 engine due to a improper flashed altitude compensator ...that did not get caught in the 2016 recall ......Another story and 2 engines

I have to get the new flash must be, I think mine is the 14 orginal one

It’s fine for me. Sometimes I do need two tries to start but majority it’s first crank. Definitely can tell it cuts ignition if cranked to long to prevent kickbacks. That’s good. I recommend it still.

It really should be cutting the fuel and leaving the ignition on. Cutting the ignition is what is causing the kickbacks. The cylinder and exhaust fill with fuel then when ignition resumes it goes boom.

The $64000 questions: Does the ignition drop due to a logic function of the ECM or a voltage threshold within the ignition module itself? And from there is this a designed in feature or is the voltage simply falling below the basic design limitations of the module?

Both of our 15s have the latest Flash and they definitely start a lot better and Idle better. Like others have said occasionally will require 2 starts when they're cold But that's no big deal thats way better the a kickback and busted teeth which both of our sleds had happen with the original flash. Get it done guy's.

What everybody has to understand, these mapping issues have different effects depending on the climate you ride in.For me it’s ridiculous in -30 in Quebec with the the shot gun blasts on start up that only occurred with the latest flash.For others it’s fine because of the climate differences.
Had a interesting conversation with a dealer in Fort Kent Maine this past week while saddlebagging,they said Yamaha is working on ANOTHER FLASH and aware of my certain issues when starting in severe cold conditions.
They also said they have been flashing there customers ecu’s with evo’s 91 octane map only using the 2014 mapping tables with excellent success.

I have over 8k of seat time on my 15 that is completely bone stock and Yamaha better straighten these issues out because a lot of people are FED UP and I’m one of them.

It really should be cutting the fuel and leaving the ignition on. Cutting the ignition is what is causing the kickbacks. The cylinder and exhaust fill with fuel then when ignition resumes it goes boom.

The $64000 questions: Does the ignition drop due to a logic function of the ECM or a voltage threshold within the ignition module itself? And from there is this a designed in feature or is the voltage simply falling below the basic design limitations of the module?
TD it may cut fuel. I don’t know but whatever it does it’s almost like engine is coasting. No resistance. Sure seems like it would help eliminate kickbacks.

Back