• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated Shield Wire to Sled's Jumper Cables?

Elypsis

Extreme
Hi folks,

In the process of wiring a heated shield to my '08 Vector LTX. I'm wondering if I could simply connect the leads from the shield to the jumper cables on the sled with a couple of small bolts like in the attached pic (and then perhaps a healthy dose of electrical tape on each).

Thoughts/comments?

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 311

You can, sure. Mine goes right to the battery. But just watch where you route it, that it wont get pinched, pulled or wore on. They are really small wires and dont take much abuse. And it would suck for them to be the cause of burning a sled down - An inline fuse never hurts.

Supa Dexta said:
You can, sure. Mine goes right to the battery. But just watch where you route it, that it wont get pinched, pulled or wore on. They are really small wires and dont take much abuse. And it would suck for them to be the cause of burning a sled down - An inline fuse never hurts.
X2

Elypsis said:
Hi folks,

In the process of wiring a heated shield to my '08 Vector LTX. I'm wondering if I could simply connect the leads from the shield to the jumper cables on the sled with a couple of small bolts like in the attached pic (and then perhaps a healthy dose of electrical tape on each).

Thoughts/comments?

I asked a similar question a few years ago and all the info is in here.

Like what has already been said, install a 3 amp in line fuse.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=91913

Good luck. ;)!

Thanks for the info, guys! I think I'm gonna go with an inline 3A fuse setup off the jumper cables for now.

Supa Dexta said:

From the way Ive read it - you have a couple of wires run so you are able to jump the sled if need be? (by calling them jumper cables) And just want to bolt these new wires to the ends of those and tape them to prevent shorting?

Seems kinda hacky if Im understanding right. Id run it run to your battery, it already has bolts ready to use.

The jumper cables are actually stock and are quite accessible on the right side of the sled. I'd be surprised if your Nytro didn't have them as well. However, thinking this through (since I'm going to have to get at the battery anyways to disconnect it temporarily to avoid any short-outs) I think I'll just tap in there and toss on a fuse while I'm at it.

Supa Dexta said:
From the way Ive read it - you have a couple of wires run so you are able to jump the sled if need be? (by calling them jumper cables) And just want to bolt these new wires to the ends of those and tape them to prevent shorting?

Seems kinda hacky if Im understanding right. Id run it run to your battery, it already has bolts ready to use.

Hi again, a quick update since my last post.

I pulled my sled apart this afternoon after I dropped by my friendly neighbourhood NAPA for an inline fuse and whatnot (spent about $5 for the fuse and picked up a few 3A fuses @ $0.75 each. Less than $10 total....

I wired the shield directly to my battery which wasn't nearly as difficult to get to as I was expecting. Remove panels, let go headlight unit, free breather, and you're there. Whole thing done and back together in about 60 minutes.

The advice and suggestions on here were very helpful (as always) so thanks to anyone that contributed. Here's a few pics of my own to show where I secured the fuse for easy replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 312
Got any landmarks in mind? I'd recommend Lewis Hills and Western Brook Gorge if you haven't been there before. You won't be disappointed!

Supa Dexta said:
Awesome man, glad to help.

Ill be over in your area in mid Feb for a week.

Oh yeah we've been over before, Yearly trip for my group. We stay in wiltondale, and just decide day to day where to go. We'll probably head to harbour deep for a day otherwise just play in the hills.

Just back from a night ride on the trails...heated shield works great! :)

On another note my buddy blew his visor's fuse after his cord came undone (he turned to see if he struck a rabbit) and it fell down on the running boards; note to self and anyone else reading this post: Spare fuses are no good left in shed/garage! Needless to say we had quite the laugh given the timing of it all.

On a more serious note it could have been much different had he not had an inline fuse installed. So there...you've all been warned. ;)

Again, thanks to all who contribute to this forum, safe and happy trails!

Dam

I wired mine straight to the jumper cables.

It lasted for years, then I sold it and got one with a jack on the bars.

I guess you just get lucky somethines.

PS I did tell the guy that bought the sled how I had it wired

Back