• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated warmers and thumb. Better option?

ryan11007

Extreme
So I remember reading before that lots of people where having problems with the yamaha grips and thumb. Has any 1 come up with a better product? Yamaheater? Is that it? I'd hate to have to buy new grips every couple years.

I have two Vipers, a 14 and a 16 both with about 16000K. I have had to replace two lefts and one right heater element. One set was due to handlebars being bent. Too much time and work to pull the old ones off. I was told by an Cat parts manager to order the ones from a 12 procross anything. They are about half the price of the listed ones and EXACTLY the same and plug and play. 32000K and only one has "failed".

I have two Vipers, a 14 and a 16 both with about 16000K. I have had to replace two lefts and one right heater element. One set was due to handlebars being bent. Too much time and work to pull the old ones off. I was told by an Cat parts manager to order the ones from a 12 procross anything. They are about half the price of the listed ones and EXACTLY the same and plug and play. 32000K and only one has "failed".

Thanks I'll look into this

gaunlets.
I ride with gauntlets..if the heat goes off I won't freeze, I carry a heavier glove and mittens in the saddle bags just in case. gauntlets are the way to go to stay warm..always carry extra " hand warmers" too.

I ride with gauntlets..if the heat goes off I won't freeze, I carry a heavier glove and mittens in the saddle bags just in case. gauntlets are the way to go to stay warm..always carry extra " hand warmers" too.
They are ugly, but they work.
After years working with my hands and frostbiting a few fingers, my hands tend to get cold easily . Been looking for the perfect glove for years with no success.
With a short gauntlet I can turn the warmers off and wear a very thin glove.
I figure I am over 50 now so I am allowed a tall windshield and gauntlets...

Ive come across posts that indicate the switches going bad is fairly common also. Might due a little OHMs testing before you replace them.

the 2up seat is hurting for hand warmer on my sled, have to check that out a bit better while on warranty.
agree whole heartedly with Stain, my finger tips get very cold fast and the taller windshield helps also. Hey, not fun getting older and need every advantage to keep going. did 610 miles in 3 days and didn't want to come home...the riding was awesome and not much traffic during the week. Joe

I have replaced (2) thumb warmers on my 2015 7000 El Tigre in the past three years. Even when they work they don't seem to get hot on high. the grip warmers are good but would like more setting options.
Low is like not having them on. I used the hand muffs this winter and as STAIN mentioned they are ugly but sure do work. I could use a light pair of gloves and my hands were comfy even in extreme cold.
I am thinking of investing in the FXR heated gloves next season, they got great reviews from folks in the industry. Very expensive but I would invest in them if they worked as indicated.
The heating elements focus on the front of your hand that is exposed. My biggest concern would is the battery life which they claim is 5 hrs. depending on conditions and setting.

I have replaced (2) thumb warmers on my 2015 7000 El Tigre in the past three years. Even when they work they don't seem to get hot on high. the grip warmers are good but would like more setting options.
Low is like not having them on. I used the hand muffs this winter and as STAIN mentioned they are ugly but sure do work. I could use a light pair of gloves and my hands were comfy even in extreme cold.
I am thinking of investing in the FXR heated gloves next season, they got great reviews from folks in the industry. Very expensive but I would invest in them if they worked as indicated.
The heating elements focus on the front of your hand that is exposed. My biggest concern would is the battery life which they claim is 5 hrs. depending on conditions and setting.
my wife has a pair of electric battery gloves...she says they are just ok...not the answer your looking for but that's her honest opinion.
Best way to keep hand warm is the gauntlets and hand warmers...I dont think the gauntlets are ugly, it's a bit unruly to get to the starter on the bars so I use the keyed switch. Joe

my wife has a pair of electric battery gloves...she says they are just ok...not the answer your looking for but that's her honest opinion.
Best way to keep hand warm is the gauntlets and hand warmers...I dont think the gauntlets are ugly, it's a bit unruly to get to the starter on the bars so I use the keyed switch. Joe
I bought my wife a pair this year also, was pretty disappointed.

Did you both buy FXR hated gloves?
Thanks

Sorry....heated gloves

Good point Vmax as I own the FXR Recon Electric gloves and would say the complete opposite. The gloves themselves are warmer than the Klims I also wear which are two gloves in one (slide hand in one pocket for grip and other for warmth). The battery life can be an issue when its cold out and using on high but I found with just the low to be plenty warm. When I purchased mine at the Novi Show, I got a spare set of batteries but the good news for the electric gloves owner is that @Rockmeister is working on an adapter kit to use power from heated shield port which will also serve a charger to recharge your batteries.

Back