• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heavy hitters primary clutch weights

Mass Apex Man

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex Gt
i got these for my clutch the end of last winter what’s everybody running for settings for all around terrain and still a setting that will blow by the other guys on the long straights it’s not terrible right now but I know it can be improved.

2009 Apex Gt

Rider weight 225

It’s been extended to a 136 Back Country track 1.75 with a Muffin Works tip up extensions and tunnel

It’s also got a Team secondary clutch twin axis Lonn at the time of sale said he hasn’t setup the weights for that particular clutch so I’m hoping someone here has besides suspension and ski change and what I’ve already described it’s stock.

What rpm's out of hole? What are top rpm's? What springs do you have in the clutches? What gearing are you running? Did you ever think about installing stock parts in get a baseline? What are you looking to gain top end, mid, better back shift?

What rpm's out of hole? What are top rpm's? What springs do you have in the clutches? What gearing are you running? Did you ever think about installing stock parts in get a baseline? What are you looking to gain top end, mid, better back shift?
its engaging between 4500-5000 rpm the primary spring is stock Gearing is stock the secondary clutch is supposed to be close to stock without the back scrubbing I’d have to remove and disassembled it to confirm what spring and twin helix it actually has with stock clutching it topped out at 94mph it shows 114mph now on the flat long Straights I know I need to add weight to the mid range I didn’t have much time to play with it and also haven’t had any previous experience with modifying primary clutches I had a local friend that was my guru when I had older Polaris Sleds he’s not a Yamaha guy though and that dealership closed their shop around 5 years ago where he ran the Service department he would give me Parts and tell me where to set them and it was always perfect.

What I’m looking for is a setting that rips the trails and still passes the other guy on the long straights I was hoping someone else with a similar Apex could share what they set their weights at and get me to a better spot then I am now

When you topped out at 94mph what were your rpm's, how long of a distance?
I have a similar setup. I have Apex with some clutching and power comV and ing mod. On good days 106-109 average top speed. Only got above that a few times. This is GPS speed.
Had higher top end numbers when sled was a 121inch.
I did change out top gear to a 23 tooth vs the 24 stock that was in my ER. I'd strongly suggest a 23 top gear you will pick up corner to corner speed at least I did. No real top end gain with this mod but it should make you smile.
What is your secondary wrapped at?
What gearing is in sled?

When you topped out at 94mph what were your rpm's, how long of a distance?
I have a similar setup. I have Apex with some clutching and power comV and ing mod. On good days 106-109 average top speed. Only got above that a few times. This is GPS speed.
Had higher top end numbers when sled was a 121inch.
I did change out top gear to a 23 tooth vs the 24 stock that was in my ER. I'd strongly suggest a 23 top gear you will pick up corner to corner speed at least I did. No real top end gain with this mod but it should make you smile.
What is your secondary wrapped at?
What gearing is in sled?

ccb4c825d75d29a9d0164885fcb59139.jpg
When it was topping out it was bone stock not sure what the rpms were it was a wide open flat lake in Rangeley Maine it wasn’t gps just the speedo and it was still a 121”.

It should still be stock gearing but also don’t wanna sacrifice the top end for more corner to corner through gear changes I’m pretty happy with the stock gearing the trails are pretty wide and long for the most part I’m mainly just trying to get what I can out of the clutches to get an advantage over the 10 other guys I’m usually that are running the newer 2011-on apex.

My secondary doesn’t wrap anymore if you can tell from the picture but also doesn’t back scrub when it opens there is 2 different ramps I’ve only used one so far I’ll have to remove and disassemble it to confirm what is what with the ramps and spring.

I'm not familiar with your secondary setup. Either way still need to know what your rpm's are. I have not rode my sled yet this season. I'm going buy memory here. When I nail my happy flipper I'm hitting around 10,200 to 10,300ish sled then climbs up to 10,900 to 11,000 and stays however I do have a ig mod. and power com. Do you have original parts? I'm still tinkering with mine this will be my third season with this setup it's still not perfect. I did throw my 24 top gear in and did not really see much of a difference.

I'm not familiar with your secondary setup. Either way still need to know what your rpm's are. I have not rode my sled yet this season. I'm going buy memory here. When I nail my happy flipper I'm hitting around 10,200 to 10,300ish sled then climbs up to 10,900 to 11,000 and stays however I do have a ig mod. and power com. Do you have original parts? I'm still tinkering with mine this will be my third season with this setup it's still not perfect. I did throw my 24 top gear in and did not really see much of a difference.
That’s kinda the problem I was hoping I could find someone with the same Clutch setup but I haven’t found anybody with the same secondary clutch it seems to work really good but I’m thinking my primary weights could use improvement and I’ll be good to go I was thinking I could use a similar setup others have used but all I found was this
e71b7b23d2ae16ff16d06f9c0dd38580.jpg

Swapped the weights to the setting I found and listed above and after pulling and calling around found the twin ramp helix on the team secondary was setup for a Turbo or supercharged Apex so swapped that out to the ramp that is for a stock Apex so as of now I just need some snow to test it out I’m thinking and hoping that all I might need to change is possibly adding some tip weight.

Back