• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help with getting a rotor off

You can send the shaft off to be rewelded and have a pin put on it. They will send you a new bearing to install
do you have a shop that does it, looking for a name in case I ever need to send mine out. Thanks, Joe

Having this problem also, 3 bolts from caliper are off, pads are out, circlip is off, caliper and rotor both are loose and wiggle around... BUT the rotor will not slide past the outer end of shaft, it just seems to stick, as it gets to the end. Excuse my ignorance but I dont see how the caliper puller would work with the rotor in the way. Wrestled with this for a hour, pried CAREFULLY, hit CAREFULLY with hammer, gave up. Good thing its summer.

End splines on drive shaft are "mushroomed" from rotor pushing on snapring, take a file or dremel type tool and reopen splines up and take outside diameter of shaft back to stock, and rotor will come off.

End splines on drive shaft are "mushroomed" from rotor pushing on snapring, take a file or dremel type tool and reopen splines up and take outside diameter of shaft back to stock, and rotor will come off.
The circlip side looks good, I did try to dress the splines to no avail. I fear its mushroomed on the back side of the rotor hub as the previous picture showed. If the cutoff wheel comes out, I fear this will get xspensive.

I have always been able to get it with a plastic hammer and some finagling. It seems like it won't come off but it will. If you get to the point where you think you are going to break something take a break and come back to it later. Good luck!

My rotor was stuck and would not wiggle off. So I pulled my rotor off with a puller and bolts thru the rotor. Of course mine is a LE with holes in rotor!
Worked good, just have be gentle

Had a Winder in here this winter that the inside hub of the disc had the splines mushroomed inward from the bearing spinning on the shaft. I split the caliper and had to build a puller and use it on the disc to get it off. The whole disc, shaft and caliper assembly had to be replaced after the bearing went out of it. It took serious pull to get it off the shaft. I was almost to the point of just cutting the shaft up to remove it, wouldn't have mattered as it was all toast/junk anyway, but I figured I could salvage some of the parts anyway.

Success, a little convincing with a 2 jaw puller and a shaft plug and its off. NO WAY that thing was coming off by hand. Once off, the hub side looks as bad as the one in post #3. Can it be saved ?
THAts what I use see on the stubborn ones

Success, a little convincing with a 2 jaw puller and a shaft plug and its off. NO WAY that thing was coming off by hand. Once off, the hub side looks as bad as the one in post #3. Can it be saved ?
Yes. Damage to hub doesn't affect/interfere with rotor function. Technically the rotor is held centered between brake pads and should not contact the bearing. However often the rotor is in contact with bearing. Damage to that hub of course is caused by shaft spinning inside the bearing (bearing is sitting still while shaft and rotor spin against it). Just clean up the hub to remove burrs and it'll be good to go. Obviously, stop shaft from spinning in bearing (ie BOP device).

Back