• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID kit installed

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
I installed a DDM tuning HID kit (35W, H4 High / Low, 4500K) in my FX Nytro. This was a very simple installations with no cutting or splicing wires. Everything plugged in with no problems and the installation took around 1hr. The HID DDM Tuning kit did not come with directions but I really didn't need them. The kit cost $35 (+$20 for the H4 high/low bulbs) and it has a lifetime warranty. I'll be ordering a second kit for my Vector. If anyone decides to install one and needs some assistance let me know, I'd be glad to help.

I have DDM HID's in my bike and truck. Great stuff and prices can't be beat. Interested to see how it holds up all the same.

When I ordered the HID kit I was expecting to do some modifications to make it work in a Nytro. With my background I felt confident I could handle any needed changes but with this kit I was able to put that college degree and all those years of experience away. Everything is prewired and there is absolutely no cutting, splicing or trying to make things fit. PLUG and PLAY? I'd have to say so.
http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... %20Tuning/

All you need to do is:
1) mount the provided relay (If you remove the cowl it can be mounted behind the speedometer head, use the top speedo screw to secure it)
2) connect the fused lead to the battery (this wire supplies the needed power to the lighting system)
3) ground two wires to the steering loop (use the lower loop mounting bolts)
4) mount the two ballasts and plug them into the provided harness (I made aluminum mounts and secured them with a hose clamp)
5) install the bulbs into the head light assembly and plug them into the ballast (The H4 bi-Xenon bulbs mount in the assemble with no modification)
6) connect one of the head light plugs that came off the old bulbs into the provided harness. (this will provide the control for High/low beams)
7) route the wire harness and secure it so it's out of the way with the provided ties. This is the hardest step.

Attachments

• HID 12 volt supply.jpg
    HID 12 volt supply.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • HID installation diagram.jpg
    HID installation diagram.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,610
  • FX Nytro HID Ballast Install.jpg
    FX Nytro HID Ballast Install.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • HID (RH).jpg
    HID (RH).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,094
They are pretty much plug and play. I have the 55 watt in my bike and truck. Super bright. I went with the 6000k but from what I read it may be good for the road but a bit too white for the snow. 4500K is supposed to be good for the snow.

Grizztracks - Thanks for the info. Couple of questions for you:

1) Did you purchase the "HID Harness" option? If so would you recommend it?

2) What is the "Error Eliminator" option and did you order it?

Question to everyone else. Why is this kit and similar kits so inexpensive compared to SledStart's kit (~$175 difference)? I would like to support those who support snowmobiling. But with a price difference like that, it is difficult to do.

I think the harness is only reccomended for the 55 watt option. That said, I bought the harness for my truck with 55watt but decided not to use it. So far it has worked fine. Also did not use it on my bike (Buell Lightning). The lights on my bike have worked perfectly all summer. Considering the vibration from the big V-Twin I would say they can take some abuse. Don't know much about the error eliminator but I don't think it is needed for our use.

Attachments

• IMG_0479c.jpg
    IMG_0479c.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 956
Bubb Rubb said:
Grizztracks - Thanks for the info. Couple of questions for you:

1) Did you purchase the "HID Harness" option? If so would you recommend it?

2) What is the "Error Eliminator" option and did you order it?

Question to everyone else. Why is this kit and similar kits so inexpensive compared to SledStart's kit (~$175 difference)? I would like to support those who support snowmobiling. But with a price difference like that, it is difficult to do.

The motorcycle dual headlight kit with the H4 high/low beam bulb comes with a relay harness that has all the needed wiring, connectors and fuse. The error eliminator is not needed for snowmobile applications. All you need to do is select the three options that I've listed and they'll send you everything you need. I recommend sticking with the 4500k bulb for snow applications and the 35watt kit is adequate.

I edited an earlier post with a few pictures and a wiring block diagram. I took the pictures after the install so I didn't get everything.

Thanks for the pics. I'll do the same thing coming weekend to my nytro.

This will ease work the even more.

which HDD unit

Hi

Checked out DDM site and they show two types of HID kits.

One is Apexcone Raptor HID Kit, which is an analog unit and the other is called DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W) which is a digital ballast.

Any recommendation on which one to use on an APEX?

Back