• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID lighting

I sorta cringe at the thought of someone putting an HID bulb in a regular headlamp...for a trail rider anyway. I always felt those colored headlamp covers were bad/irritating/dangerous enough, and thankfully they were eventually outlawed in several states. Now we'll have to worry about getting 320 watts worth of white light shot straight into our eyes when we crest a hill instead of the usual 110. These headlamps were originally designed for normal halogens, which means they have the wrong reflectors to properly control the extreme brightness of HID light. Many have complained these Apex-Attak high beams are shooting to high as stock setups as-is, much less with triple brightness.

A quote from one of the HID kit mfrs: "NO H.I.D. lighting system available from any source is DOT / E approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use."

Obviously "off-road" defines a snowmobile, but I'm sure some of the snowmobile law-makers will outlaw these on the trails soon enough, just like they did the colored headlight covers. So chalk me up as someone who is not in favor of this idea unless you ride 100% off-trail at all times and will NEVER see another sled head-on at night.

Let me clarify that I am not against an HID headlamp upgrade for a sled, but it needs to be an entire headlamp assembly with reflectors and everything that was designed from the ground up as a comprehensive system...that would work fine just like in cars (there's a reason HID lamps in cars cost $1,000 to $2,000 each...they're complicated designs). You can't just install a replacement bulb that's put into an improperly poorly designed OEM reflector headlamp pod and expect it to be safe.

For everyone who feels they want a lighting upgrade, PLEASE stick with the Siverstars and their various imitators for these pods.

ktmhk53 said:
Greetings,
Has anyone installed HID lights on their sled? If so, what were the results and where did you purchase your kit.

Here are 3 HID sources I've found, but would like to know the results others have had before purchasing...

there are a lot more sources than that. i just put them in my nissan titan and they work great. $300 for the high beam kit. if you buy a kit make sure it is made in either germany or japan, much higher stds. the best color is around 4000k for light output. you are going to get 2 transformers make sure you can figure out the location.

Actually if you can, get the least blue bulb possible.
Actually a golden or yellow light is far superior in snowy or foggy conditions.

true HID's give off less heat than a conventional halogne. Those crappy HID wanna be bulbs on the other hand can melt housings.

by true HID im talking about the real meal deal...ballasts, ignitor etc

HID uses only about 2/3 the watts of a halogen bulb, so I think less watts = less heat. The HIDs on my car dont get very warm at all.

Come to think of it, that is a bonus, which makes more watts available for heated shields and sat radio LOL

Tork said:
HID uses only about 2/3 the watts of a halogen bulb, so I think less watts = less heat. The HIDs on my car dont get very warm at all.

Come to think of it, that is a bonus, which makes more watts available for heated shields and sat radio LOL

;)!

ktmhk53 said:
Tork said:

;)!

Or Grip warmers!!!

Not an expert on the HID lighting, but when I researched it last year, there was concern about how quick the opposite beam would light because of the cold. They told me that it could take 2-3 seconds to change from low to high. Most were HID on high and used a standard low beam. May not be right, but that was what I was told. They said most systems use a seperate bulb for high & Low so they can have a delay shut down on one while lighting the other??

I tried the $35 Silverstars which I did not feel added anything. I also tried a set of $100 Raybrig HID bulb only type. They are 125Watt that supposedly only pull 60 watts (yah maybe) they have a 5000K color which is close to normal sunlight. They are not street legal in a normal vehicle. They are much better on low in the trails that stock bulb (better detail of items). They still won't fix the issue that the apex has with the adjustment (that when you get high right, low is too low or when you get low right, high is too high) I think this is a design issue and no bulb will fix it. After 1/2 a season, I am not sure I would spend the $100 again, but I know I would not buy another set of Silverstars. From the package I am not sure if model I have is RS-A or RR45, but they are a direct replacement as far as base & watt pull. :o|

That is not true anymore, unless you use 1 fixture high and the other low, which sucked for applications like motorcycles and sleds. And you did have the delay factor.

They now have hi/low combo lamps that are instant on for vehicles that dont have seperate fixtures for high and low beams

These are one lamp but they use" butterfly wings" to change the focal point for high and low beams

The "High/Low" capsule (seen below) is a different animal. It contains small "butterfly" wings that snap open when hi-beam is selected, allowing the HID light to travel downward to the hi-beam portion of the reflector lens. When lo-beam is selected, the butterfly wings snap shut, preventing any light from reaching the lower part of the reflector housing (which, again, is the high-beam part of the reflector).

H4Components.jpg

These are one lamp but they use" butterfly wings" to change the focal point for high and low beams

Tork-

In your opinion, is the high beam "aim" a product of the refelctor lens or would installing this HID system improve the "in the trees look" any? Thanks for your insight....

Cant give you the perfect answer on that, but this is the logic behind my opinion.

Personally I think there is a focal point flaw in the apex/attak headlight, or more likely a flaw in the multi reflector design.

The halogen bulbs used are dual filiment, and one shuts off and the other turns on.

So it could really help with these new HIDs because it is like having both hi and low beams on at the same time(when hi beams are selected which opens up the "butterfly wings")

Yet it may not be a 100% improvement due to the reflector design, but if it would be a 50-75% improvement, that would make riding at night so much safer. Just that it would be bad to blind oncoming riders with your HIDs on high beam, so one would need to be especially polite about that LOL

Tork-

Are you running for a political office??? :jump:

Seriously, thanks for your insights. It's a pretty expensive upgrade, but at this point, I'm considering keeping my Attak for this season and the next....we'll see!

Back