• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

High Mileage VK

VK_al

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 VK Professional
2023 ZR 200
Hi everyone,

just wondering about mileage and maintenance done on your VK's. Any high mileage VK's out there?
What have you done for maintenance/major parts replacement?

Thanks in advance

I can't be specific but I remember seeing reports of VKs in Nfld with 40 to 50000 kms on them. I don't know anything about what it took to keep them together but can only assume that what ever it was made economic sense.

One guys experience racking up miles isn't necessarily going to be the next guys. It makes a huge difference how and where they are ridden. I have a sled now(not a VK) that is completely original at 16000kms. Stuff is likely coming due but it has only seen minimal routine maintenance. I haven't even done sliders yet.

depends how hard they are worked. i know on the old 2 stroke vks, my uncle would replace the chain on his every 5 years as he had one fail and it took me 15 years once i started looking to get a chaincase for it. that would be my only real worry drive train wise other than track conditrion.

That's what worries me the most is the chain/chaincase. I'm not worried about the motor. I have a 2014 Pro with 7000 kms on it. I put roughly 1000 kms/year but always pulling heavy. I have a homemade 52"x16' drag out of 2x4 HSS with a chipper knife and brush bar on it. Its about 12 km's to my camp and groom it once per week at least. It's quite heavy. When I'm not pulling that I have a 36" by 84" puckboard sleigh and load it with over a cord of tamarack. I might replace the chain before next season just to be on the safe side. I do the chaincase lube at the start of the season and midway. It's cheap and puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the info and if anyone else has any input it would be appreciated.

yup, i would do that chain and clean and check the bearings while it is apart based on how you are working it. had drive axle bearing in chain case fail on my 05 rx war. caught it when the roller cage blew apart. have you done the jack shaft bearing at any point? this would be a good time with the chain case all apart.

I haven't done the jackshaft bearing yet. I plan on doing the chain and all the bearings in the chaincase this fall.

Back