• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hitting rev limiter hard with gates belt

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
I did a few hundred Kms today with the new gates belt. Like most of you said it does grab hard.
But I'm hitting the Rev limiter hard on launch with my mpi trail kit.
After my ride I checked clutchs and they are perfect no black marks.
I m running the stock mpi suggested yamaha clutching
Not sure if I can add more weight to tips ( if there is heavier rivets)
My secondary wrap is at 6 1 you think I should more wrap say 6 2

You need more weight in the heel for launch! I needed more with my Hurricane to. Just bounced twice off the limiter every time at low speed. Added a coupld washers and it's good now. I added about 2 grams

You need more weight in the heel for launch! I needed more with my Hurricane to. Just bounced twice off the limiter every time at low speed. Added a coupld washers and it's good now. I added about 2 grams
Ok I'll see if I could get heavier rivets.
Might get adjustable weights for next season. Pulling weights out grinding rivets and installing heavier rivets are a pain in the #*$&@

Yup! Did that with my 03 viper many times. I can ad washer with out taking the weights out just removing the cover. So much better

LOL! It's friday. How are the trails holding up?
They were crap/closing till 2 days ago. We got a snow storm (about a foot of snow).
Now they are perfect but Monday we are getting a #*$&@ tonne of rain again so I'm guessing they will be shut down by Wednesday...
What a bad year rain then snow, freezing cold, then warm ...... the weather is acting like my wife:o|

Hard to make plans with the forcast we are getting lately!
Tell me about it!!
Early last week I committed to working today to next Friday because I thought the season was over!!! Now I'm stuck at work on our probably last weekend of sledding :(

Let's hope for the snow to stick around. I'm busy with work this week but could sneak away for a couple days next week!

This has my attention. Don't you guys find it odd that adding the Gates made it hit rev limiter on launch? Would think it would have done opposite since it brought top rpm down or usually does vs 8dn. Do you think the stickier Gates also slows shift down which is why it's now hitting rev limiter on launch?

Let's hope for the snow to stick around. I'm busy with work this week but could sneak away for a couple days next week!
This has my attention. Don't you guys find it odd that adding the Gates made it hit rev limiter on launch? Would think it would have done opposite since it brought top rpm down or usually does vs 8dn. Do you think the stickier Gates also slows shift down which is why it's now hitting rev limiter on launch?
I'm not sure but it definitely grabs the harder on launch. It's seems like my spins allot harder at launch compared to 8dn and 8jp.
I tried all 3 belts during the last week
Cleaned clutch before installing each belt
I also run the osp belt adjuster and had each belt set so that track would creep
On launch in found the gates (8dn equal)pulled the strongest
Then 8nd
Then 8jp
I never got to do wo pulls to see if there was top end difference

I'm going to buy some adjustable weights for sure this summer and maybe a complete clutch kit..
I'm happy with the Yamaha clutching for the smooth engagement and being able the move around slow (no jerking) I don't want to lose that with a aftermarket kit

Back