• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hole in 120 crank housing

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha rs rage
Hey I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed a small hole in top of crank housing. It seems yamaha didnt leave enough cast thickness, after tapping for the bolt. My engine blew last year and it was all caused by water blocking my oil cooler that I beleive over time seeped through the hole and into crank housing, enough water got in that when it froze it blocked my oil cooler and over heated motor. Is this possibly a flaw in the motor?

Attachments

• 20181125_134825-1.jpg
    20181125_134825-1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 114

That won't let water into the engine, as that hole should not be open to the actual inside of the engine.

When I opened up crank housing, the oil cooler screens were full of ice and piston on clutch side had seized, oil was slushy and had been changed 200 kms before it blew with yamaha lube and new filter

Last edited:
Do you remember if it was low on coolant? Are you sure the air box was completely sealed to the carbs/throttle bodies? You likely had a issue somewhere else to let the moisture in. That particular bolt hole is like that on every Yamaha 3 cylinder I'm 99% sure.

Coolant level was good,I'm 99% sure everything was sealed properly, but always a chance somthing could have come loose I guess, was running perfectly, I let it warm up for about 5 minutes after temperature light turned off. Was about -25 out if not colder that morning. Rode up to the gas station( 2 minute ride, and on my way back herd a few ticks and then it seized.

Ive also noticed the hole on 3 other 3 cyclinder 120s
My cousins 2005 rage had the same hole in the motor, and he had 32,000 miles on it, no issues. I have 24,500 miles on my 08 vector (same motor updated timing chain), and my brother has 19,500 miles on his 09 vector.

Thats the thing, these motors are near bullet proof, thats why I was shocked when mine seized, I picked up another engine with 7000 kms on it had it professionally installed, and looked over. Everything was fine, took it home and anytime I'd punch it , coolant would blow out the overflow hose, took it back and turns out it either has a shitty head gasket, or cracked cylinder, cylinders looked perfect, so we did head gasket, well see what happens when its all back together.

Back