• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hole in crank case behind primary clutch

RSVECTORFREAK

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Vector ER
Well I was helping a friend with his primary clutch on his 2005 Rage when I noticed this in the case!! I'm not sure why it happened or what kind of material the case is made out of! Do you think JB WELD would hold up????
ce40b74082559bf7ba3460d53d94895c.jpg
3ef569be5a2db376e128853ac80505f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i see the case has an updated part number so I'm assuming they had problems with the original!!

I would try to JB Weld a small round piece of aluminum ( pop can ) over the hole such that the JB weld doesn't fall thru the hole. Not out much if it doesn't work.

I put JB weld on it! Didn't use any circle out pop can first though! It was pretty sticky when I applied it hopefully it doesn't run down and harden!

After looking I'm not sure that is a replaceable case at all! Might be part of the main engine housing. Having a hard time pegging it down on the parts fiche! Anyone know for sure??

I am by no means an engine guy. Maybe Hibshman25 can help.

This is the Case. Per the fiche it's:
CRANKCASE ASSY
8ES-15100-08-00 (replaces 8ES-W1510-00-00)

It looks like you could replace the case but wouldn't you be better off swapping out the engine? Or doing a permanent fix on the hole?

176305_CRANKCASE.gif

Yeah
I am by no means an engine guy. Maybe Hibshman25 can help.

This is the Case. Per the fiche it's:
CRANKCASE ASSY
8ES-15100-08-00 (replaces 8ES-W1510-00-00)

It looks like you could replace the case but wouldn't you be better off swapping out the engine? Or doing a permanent fix on the hole?

View attachment 104860

Yeah the case isn't worth doing! If the JB weld doesn't hold the sled will get parted out!

A good welder could certainly tig weld that up. I see no reason JB weld would not hold.

There doesn't appear to be any oil leaking out of it.
Probably a slight flaw in the casting.
Don't worry about it, especially since there isn't any oil there.

Yeah

Yeah the case isn't worth doing! If the JB weld doesn't hold the sled will get parted out!
Thats nothing for JB weld, just make sure you clean it really good as there will most likely be oil and dirt around there, i definitely wouldn't leave it, wouldnt want snow or water making its way in

Pretty crazy if you ask me, I just bought an 05 Vector with the same hole in the same spot with the same shape. Did you ever find out what this is for or what may have caused it?

Thanks!

Nice, well now you are not alone. There are two of us! Thanks for getting back to me!

Pretty sure it's factory, our 05 rage has the exact same hole in the exact same location. Curiously though, my 06 Nytro does not.

Back