• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hooking up a 12V Power Source??

I have a cigarette lighter plug in wired directly to my battery. I use it mostly for my GPS and actually wanted it to stay on then the machine is off for when we make short stops and the GPS can stay powered. I didn't think that it would be much of a draw of power.

I can vouch for how little a GPS draws. I run a Lowrance Globalmap 100 unit which requires 4 AA batteries, and draws significantly more juice than more common GPS units. Even so, I regularly leave the unit powered on for days at a time (while in storage at home, NOT on the trail!) and have never had a low battery problem. The draw is very minimal. As for where I tapped in to, for both the GPS and my heated shield plug I just ran the wires to the battery jumper leads. I mounted a Radio Shack accessory plug on the right side frame rail under the hood. I mounted it there because my GPS wiring has a LOT of extra wiring that I wanted to hide.

Jim

Re: The hot leads on the sled

recinc said:
Like it was said earlier there is only 40 watts left over from the charging coil on the RX1 small items such as gps's and cell phones wont really affect the unit But Not having enough power for the Digital Ignition can cause some intermittent problems. It is not sugested to hook any accys up to the handgrip wires due to the power it will take away from the hand warmers. now for the heated shields and higher wattage items should be hooked up via 1 blue wire off of the bottom of the main relaywhich is located above your right foot stirrup. Her is an illustration provided by Yamaha

Does anyone have a copy of the picture from this post last year?

I figure this sounds like the best place to hook up my visor to and wouldn't mind seeing the image (it seems all of the older images are gone...).

Thanks,

Almost

(need to change my name...)

I don't have a picture, but I did hook mine up last month.

The fuse block is located under the hood, just above and behind the chaincase against the frame. Basically if you're sitting on the seat with the hood open, take your right hand off the handlbar and extend it below the bars - that's where it is.

There are two wires you can tap into here. The blue is switched and the red is constant power. Don't use the multi-colored wires. Unwrap some of the tape and carefully strip some of the wire's jacket. Solder your positive wire to it and re-tape it. Make sure you add an in-line fuse as well.

For the ground you can either find a black wire somewhere (I didn't find an easy one) or attache it to the chassis somewhere. I used one of the bolts that holds the oil tank in place.

Looking for a Graphic that was lost in the last forum mishap... It was from RECINC back in November

The selected Attachment does not exist anymore

404 File Not Found: The File files/electrical.jpg does not exist.

Does anyone have this and can post it up? Or maybe point me to a link that may have it?

Thanks,

-Mook

my 12 volt acc. plug

i used a stainless steel lighter plug from a boat store (West Marine) and wired it live with a 10 amp fuse next to the battery

Attachments

• Im000969.jpg
    Im000969.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Im000970.jpg
    Im000970.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 225

Back