• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot Hot Clutches

steiner

Staff member
Was pulling the kids on the tubes today on the ice behind my place. Belt was squealing every time I came to a stop and idled. Took the side panel off and the clutches were HOT. Now I was only putting around at between 10-20mph pulling tubes on ice. Wow did they slide forever. Very little resistance.
Things I did this year to the sled include new track, jackshaft and driveshaft bearings, chaincase bearings, Duponts, I have an Ulmer clutch kit, installed a new bushing on the secondary, new buttons for the helix, had the dealer inspect the primary (all good).
Is the c to c or off set off??
What should my next move be?

You can go to a spring with a lower preload and has a similar shift/finish rate. or add more heel weight for better belt squeeze. What sled is this on? Pulling the kids around even on an old 340 enticer is generally hard on belts and clutches. I will usually swap out the good belt for an old one and carry on.

Well today I was running the sled on the stand and noticed the track creeping at idle. Look at the secondary and the belt was about 1/8 above and the shaft of the primary was hot.
Removed the shims from the back of the secondary. Now the belt is level with the top and the creeping is gone. I guess this belt is slightly different from the rest of the belts that I have used.
Will try to test this setup this weekend if we get the snow they forecasted.

Your belt should typically only run 1.5mm above the secondary sheeve. This is basically the ribs on the top of an 8DN which is 2mm. The ctc distance is 267mm, if this measurement is out it will affect your belt deflection, and your offset is 15-17mm. Grab yourself a 20 dollar clutch alignment tool and save yourself the pain of measuring with tapes rulers or straight edges. They are well worth it.

Everything I've always read about proper clutch setup is that the track SHOULD creep a bit when on a stand. The clutches on my 05 Vector would get hot as well and I was running the 8DN belt at the time. When I was pulling the kids around I'd remove the top clutch guard to allow more air into the area.

I'm now running the Ultimax 805 (p/n?) on the 05 and everybody says that the 805 is softer and grabs better. The Yamaha 8DN is harder and glosses over easily.

Everything I've always read about proper clutch setup is that the track SHOULD creep a bit when on a stand. The clutches on my 05 Vector would get hot as well and I was running the 8DN belt at the time. When I was pulling the kids around I'd remove the top clutch guard to allow more air into the area.

I'm now running the Ultimax 805 (p/n?) on the 05 and everybody says that the 805 is softer and grabs better. The Yamaha 8DN is harder and glosses over easily.

I also run the XS805. The 8DN gloss is from slippage for sure. However, it is still a good long lasting durable belt, but good clutching requires more weight to achieve the grab needed. The 805 will slightly pull your rpm down from a an 8DN set- up, but good grip and less slip will do that. For the average rider this is a mute point, its just a different belt that seems to work better. Overall my clutches are cooler but I also run 2 speeds with o-p-o in primary with silver secondary and those weights have awesome low-end grab power. A higher rate secondary spring set-up may tend to stretch the softer 805, so the harder 8DN would be better. Every set-up differs.

At one time I had 3 soffit vents expoxied into the top of my belt guard on my 05 Vector. Thought was to get get more air coming in but I was also afraid of snow dust. Last season or two ago I closed them off. I had it iin my head that snow dust was causing premature belt wear and failure. Proemature = 1500 miles. I dunno!

The belt does not squeal anymore. I guess it finally broke in.
Now I notice that it will rev to 10,800 and then slowly creep down to 10,400 on lake runs. What do I check now?

The belt does not squeal anymore. I guess it finally broke in.
Now I notice that it will rev to 10,800 and then slowly creep down to 10,400 on lake runs. What do I check now?

Give Allen Ulmer a call and see what he says?

Back