• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot Rubber Smell From Sleds

yamacat

Veteran
I noticed there is a lot of discussion on the Apex and Phazer forums about hot burning rubber smell coming from their sleds. I own both an Apex and a Phazer and have noticed the same smells coming from both sleds at different times. Ironically, when riding with other brands at the same time, under the same snow conditions, on the same trail, my Yamaha sleds are the only ones with this problem. Phazor is 2007 and Apex 2008. Friend has 2008 Phazor with same problem. Smell is coming from track via overheating of clips and hyfax. I contacted dealer about concern and in turn he contacted Yamaha. Yamaha said they are not aware of any situation of any overheating in normal conditions. Yet when riding with every other brand in my group of riders I am the only Yamaha and the only one with these issues. Rather than ignoring the obvious and coming up with a fix for the problem it seems very disappointing that they choose to turn a blind eye to this siuation. I just spent $19,000 on two new sleds (this being the first time I've purchsed Yamahas) and they not only won't pay for a fix but like I said choose to even acknowlegd there is a problem. It has become a pain in the butt to have the newest and most expensive sleds of the entire group but yet I'm the only one with this issue. I also have an engine overheating issues at times with the Apex during identical times of my friends sleds not having any issues of overheating due to lack of snow contacting heat exchangers and once again my entire group has to wait on me. I again was told by Yamaha this was not a common problem. Yet you can purchase through your Yamaha dealer, to assist in the lack of cooling, a rear heat exchanger at your own expense with no finacial assitance from Yamaha which costs $350'ish to correct a problem that according to Yamaha doesn't exist.

You might want to try and test the antifreeze concentration, although I read that the long life stuff requires a different type of tester than was previously the normal way to test it.

I have studs so I think that might help a bit. I've never overheated, but my feet have sure been warm!

Just to be curious, why doesn't Yami make the fins on the heat exchangers a tad bit longer by another 1/8-1/4"? I'd think that would provide a little better cooling in the warmer temps.

I just put on the fix powersports "front" wheel kit at the bend in the rail. Now that area rides on the wheels instead of the rail. I'm betting that extra snow MIGHT now get under there and lube up the entire slider. My long stretch between the outer wheels showed no serious wear after 1000 miles but one sled had worn through at the curve in the rail. Fixed in time for a few more outings and the next year (or two or three)!

yamacat said:
I noticed there is a lot of discussion on the Apex and Phazer forums about hot burning rubber smell coming from their sleds. I own both an Apex and a Phazer and have noticed the same smells coming from both sleds at different times. Ironically, when riding with other brands at the same time, under the same snow conditions, on the same trail, my Yamaha sleds are the only ones with this problem. Phazor is 2007 and Apex 2008. Friend has 2008 Phazor with same problem. Smell is coming from track via overheating of clips and hyfax. I contacted dealer about concern and in turn he contacted Yamaha. Yamaha said they are not aware of any situation of any overheating in normal conditions. Yet when riding with every other brand in my group of riders I am the only Yamaha and the only one with these issues. Rather than ignoring the obvious and coming up with a fix for the problem it seems very disappointing that they choose to turn a blind eye to this siuation. I just spent $19,000 on two new sleds (this being the first time I've purchsed Yamahas) and they not only won't pay for a fix but like I said choose to even acknowlegd there is a problem. It has become a pain in the butt to have the newest and most expensive sleds of the entire group but yet I'm the only one with this issue. I also have an engine overheating issues at times with the Apex during identical times of my friends sleds not having any issues of overheating due to lack of snow contacting heat exchangers and once again my entire group has to wait on me. I again was told by Yamaha this was not a common problem. Yet you can purchase through your Yamaha dealer, to assist in the lack of cooling, a rear heat exchanger at your own expense with no finacial assitance from Yamaha which costs $350'ish to correct a problem that according to Yamaha doesn't exist.

How tight are the tracks? Most here find you have to run them fairly loose; on a stand, our Attaks (136") hang down about 1" from the hifax near the center of the track (without pulling on them).

Track is set at max of spec plus. Track was way loose with 0 miles and was reset until ratcheting stopped. Hyfax wear looks even all the way from front to the back. Coolant is set at proper mix and is full with no air pockets. Yamaha needs to put track more clips on the bars between windows to stop the rubber from rubbing on the track. They also need to install a rear heat exchanger to help assist in low snow cooling conditions.
I truly believe when you purchase a new sled it should come out of the manufacturer ready to ride, not fixing the problem with even more money on my part. When a problem occurs and the cause is found the manufacturer should own up to it's responsiblity. It's not like I'm asking for some trick parts I simply want to ride down the trail and not be the only sled that needs to stop to cool down. The fact that when I am riding with Polaris, Ski Doo, and Arctic Cat all at the same time and I am the only one with this problem it certainly appears to me to be a manufacturer issue. All I am asking that Yamaha steps up and pays to fix the concerns. I shouldn't have to take even more more out of my pocket to fix a weak design.

for about 50 bucks you can install ice scratchers and this problem dissapears. get the kind that mount under the running boards, and when needed you can drop the left one down without even stopping. they work great on hard pack trails or solid blue ice. i ride with skidoos and when conditions are bad their slides also melt to the track. this is all that is needed to run almost anywhere as it provides lube for the slides and spray for cooling, problem solved. i have put hundreds of miles on blue ice where only the ski carbides make a mark, and have had no issues.

yamacat said:
Track is set at max of spec plus. Track was way loose with 0 miles and was reset until ratcheting stopped. Hyfax wear looks even all the way from front to the back. Coolant is set at proper mix and is full with no air pockets. Yamaha needs to put track more clips on the bars between windows to stop the rubber from rubbing on the track. They also need to install a rear heat exchanger to help assist in low snow cooling conditions.
I truly believe when you purchase a new sled it should come out of the manufacturer ready to ride, not fixing the problem with even more money on my part. When a problem occurs and the cause is found the manufacturer should own up to it's responsiblity. It's not like I'm asking for some trick parts I simply want to ride down the trail and not be the only sled that needs to stop to cool down. The fact that when I am riding with Polaris, Ski Doo, and Arctic Cat all at the same time and I am the only one with this problem it certainly appears to me to be a manufacturer issue. All I am asking that Yamaha steps up and pays to fix the concerns. I shouldn't have to take even more more out of my pocket to fix a weak design.

I understand what you are saying, but... I have an Attak with 3,600 miles. Hifax first changed after 2,000. The ONLY time I have had the rubber/plastic smell is in marginal (hard packed) snow conditions.

My overheat indicator has only come on one time. We were riding a freshly groomed trail first thing in the AM that no one had been on. It was -12 below 0; again hard packed and NO loose snow. As long as I hit the fresh snow every so often overheat light went off and stayed off. My nephew right behind me had no problems cause he was following my tracks~and picking up some loose snow.

IMHO, most who are complaining about poor hifax wear, overheating issues and plastic/rubber smell - they're all related to snow conditions. It isn't that difficult to get off the trail and into some fresh snow now and then and still keep up with the pack...

At 4K I dumped the stock track and installed a ripsaw that has clips every window. Solved MOST of the hyfax smell...but if were ripping down a hardpack road, I still see them melting and my buddy behind be pulls up and does the waving of the hand in fron of his nose. I can cook a set of hyfax in no time on either my SRX or RX-1 in hardpack conditions. I have rried every track tension possible to very loose (anti ratchet drivers on the RX) to within spec. Seems the tight specs works and the track does not balloon behind the bogies and wear the hyfax in that area. I also run the Polaris 5.35 wheels on the RX.
All I know is 2 cats I ride with can rip 100 MPH down a hardpack road for as long as they wish and they never burn their hyfax. Kinda pisses me off!

Studs......... I have 196 of them on my RTX, and never have the problem.

I think opening up those closed track windows helps. I had done that and installed 144 studs and never had an issue on my 05.

Just broke the suspension and trashed the track. The dealer fixed it under warranty and replaced it with a stock ripsaw and now I smell burning rubber.

I'm going to open the windows and run without studs for a while to see if that does it. The way this winter is going, it will be next year before I find out.

This is the problem that I see many people overlook and defend Yamaha when they shouldn't. Yamacat spent $19,000 on a couple of new sleds...$19,000!!!! If you/me spend that much on a sled you wouldnt expect to deal with these issues. These same issues he is dealing with have been going on since the 06 Apex/Attak models. Thats THREE years and Yamaha hasnt come up with a fix yet (or some sort of recall for that matter) and as many have found out Yamaha has turned the cold shoulder. Here on the forum there is post after post after post reporting the same problems. Some say "to fix it" spend $50 here or $100 there...IMO that is unacceptable when we are dishing out $10,000 on a sled. If you noticed the discussion(s) going on in the Lounge area on the forum here (about the new Arctic Cat) people are complaing of the same "little things" that add up.

I for one will be watching/paying attention to the new Doo and the new A.C. 4 strokes to see how they turn out. I will give them 'one' season of trial and error and if either one of em' looks promising...I will consider. We have the most snow on the ground here now that we have had all season long and my sled is sitting at the dealer waiting on exhaust donuts and ALL my wheels to be replaced. This will be my 4th set of inner idler wheels in 3,000 miles...4th set! The dealer is OUT of wheels because they have changed/sold so many of them this year.

We ride the same conditions year in and year out around here and I never had problems with wheels on my prior sleds. The unfortunate thing about it all is that I absolutely love my Apex.

I put a set of Doo wheels on the outside of my 06 Nytro they are a little bit bigger diam than the oem wheel ,it has seemed to cure the inner wheel meltdown taking a little pressure off the inner wheel.

The skid seems to be in a bind why not just add more wheels to the skid and use a open lug track, I would like to have 4 on each side I would guess it would also add to top end giving it a better rolling surface.

We would not be cryin about the exhaust gaskets either if it did not take major surgery tryin to muscle the new one on the pipe , my old cat took 20 minutes to replace , but the rest of the sled sucked, so what do ya do, you got to love our sport or you would have folded years ago.

But what do I know I am just a truck driver...

MCApex44 said:
This is the problem that I see many people overlook and defend Yamaha when they shouldn't. Yamacat spent $19,000 on a couple of new sleds...$19,000!!!! If you/me spend that much on a sled you wouldnt expect to deal with these issues. Here on the forum there is post after post after post reporting the same problems. Some say "to fix it" spend $50 here or $100 there...IMO that is unacceptable when we are dishing out $10,000 on a sled. quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with this and what Yamacat stated. Why can't Yamaha just make something that will be relatively trouble free for at least a couple of years. It seems like more and more guys on here are saying that they are disappointed as first time Yamaha owners. Join the group! And, I hope yamaha wakes up and starts to listen to their customers and fixes some problems.

The problem is every manufacturer has a deplorable record of addressing design deficiencies in new models and we just keep buying them and their bS excuses.

Jim

Back