• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot start Issue found??

I'm with Tom my 6.0l is pretty cheap I sell Dmax , Cummins, and Powerstroke injectors everyday they are a lot more than a 10.00 spark plug or what ever a plug costs.

Tried something this weekend. Wasn't much but I made a little deflector plate out of cardboard. It was supposed to divert hot air from the radiator and keep it from going in the airbox. This was saturday as I got to the track early to make a change on clutching, so I decided to take the nose off and see what I could come up with. It was hot and extremely humid Saturday. No hot start issues, but need to test more to see if it ever happens again.

I tried to duplicate the hot start over the weekend, ran it until coolant was about 160 and intake air said 88, shut off and heat soaked for a few minutes, then tried to start, just cranked, no start. but noticed the fan didn't run when I turned the key to on, so it didn't blast heat into the intake. did notice on second attempt to start that if you try to give any throttle while cranking, the check engine lite comes on and flashes a code- p1338 or something, cant remember, but didn't start then either. did start on third attempt. also noticed that the sled goes very lean and stumbles/drops several hundred rpms if you just take the throttle off idle ever so slightly. after seeing that, I was thinking fuel map or tps sensor adjustment issue.. not sure

I tried to duplicate the hot start over the weekend, ran it until coolant was about 160 and intake air said 88, shut off and heat soaked for a few minutes, then tried to start, just cranked, no start. but noticed the fan didn't run when I turned the key to on, so it didn't blast heat into the intake. did notice on second attempt to start that if you try to give any throttle while cranking, the check engine lite comes on and flashes a code- p1338 or something, cant remember, but didn't start then either. did start on third attempt. also noticed that the sled goes very lean and stumbles/drops several hundred rpms if you just take the throttle off idle ever so slightly. after seeing that, I was thinking fuel map or tps sensor adjustment issue.. not sure

I'm thinking the same thing you are with mapping. If ones of yamahas big updates for 2015 is a reprogrammed ecu then that should say a lot right there.

Thats not the hot start issue I saw the one time ours did it and have never seen a code, wondering if we are looking at more than one hot start issue?

This is exactly what happens to mine, probably one out every 7-10 restarts. It will sometimes have a really low idle issue after restart also that is cured by shutting it off and restarting.

Stingray, whats your hot start issue act like? mine doesn't throw a code unless you open the throttle while its cranking and not starting..

Swmpr the one time my sled had the start issue it did exactly as yours including the low idle. I actually had the low idle twice that day. Once with the code and no start and once just low idle. It was 34 deg that day. Warmest ride of year. This year was very cold. I wonder how often this will happen in a warmer winter.

Stingray, whats your hot start issue act like? mine doesn't throw a code unless you open the throttle while its cranking and not starting..

The one time it didn't start I did like I always did when that happened on the Phazer, turn key off - hold throttle wide open - turn key on wait about 3 seconds - let throttle off and start. I didn't really look for a code.....sorry.

Interesting: WHy the wait, exchanging air, computer/ECU reset ? what do you think is happening?

Interesting: WHy the wait, exchanging air, computer/ECU reset ? what do you think is happening?

As I said at the beginning of this thread it is my opinion the hot start issue is caused by the radiator creating heat under hood and heating the air box air. Look to any modern system on any vehicle and notice they all try to pick up fresh air to supply the engine.

Oh I agree completely that hot air directed into the airbox has less O2 and confuses the ECU - bad idea.
I was just wondering your thoughts on the 3 seconds of oppen throttle bodies. Wondering if you were trying to influence the ECU in some specific way I do not know..
Thanks

Oh I agree completely that hot air directed into the airbox has less O2 and confuses the ECU - bad idea.
I was just wondering your thoughts on the 3 seconds of oppen throttle bodies. Wondering if you were trying to influence the ECU in some specific way I do not know..
Thanks

Honestly, I don't know if that let hot air out of the throttle bodies or did influence the ECU but it always worked on the Phazer on the few times it would not start hot. Probably a different issue than the Viper and maybe I just got lucky but I did the same thing the one time the Viper would not start hot.

When mine wont start and it does this 1 out of 10 starts if you open the throttle and crank to long it will throw a code.When it starts with the code flashing it will continue to flash and low idle issue till it is shut off and restart it. if it will not start i pull the positive battery cable to reboot the ecm then it will start. Always nice to have to pull the seat at the pumps to reset the ecm

Back