• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How can I test the oil tank level sensor

Jim Bob21

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
vk professional
I'm looking to determine if my oil tank level sensor is in fact working. I have tried measuring the sensor with an ohm meter but reads open at all times. I can feel a float moving on the inside of the sensor but measurement doesnt change. Any help would be appreciated as to how it can be tested. Thanks

If you pull it straight up out of the tank and let the oil drain out of the sender you should have a different reading. Theirs a float on the inside with a metal spring, when the float goes down the spring makes contact and will let you know if your low on oil.

If you take it out of the tank and tip it upside down and then hold it upright you should have two different readings, but I have had my float stick.

Pull the dipstick out of tank and plug it in. Turn key on and the oil symbol should display.

Thanks all. That is what I suspected but no matter what I do with the sensor ot always measures an open circuit. No resistance regardless of position. I suspect its toast. I soaked within varsol and I can hear it moving when clean...but no resistance

Back