• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How can you tell if a relay is bad?

nytro addict

Expert
My sled won't start at all for some reason. I can hear a relay clicking and it makes the gage flash on and off. The relay that is clicking is the 3rd on from the front of the block of relays on the left hand side. I believe this is the fuel relay. Is there a way to check these relay's or do you just buy new one's. I have never had a problem before so this is all new to me. What should I do any suggestions would be great. Thanks

It wont do anything. Its like all the juice is gone. Then the relay clicks and power comes back to the cluster gage for a split second or sometimes long. When it is all powered up it will fire and run. But maybe its something else causing the loss of power? It is weired that the only relay that makes a clicking noise is the fuel relay. It really has me baffled.

check the starter relay if you are having issues cranking over the sled, its the greenish one near the oil tank

It will crank fine as long as their is power. It's like having a dead battery issue. But the battery is fine. What tells me it is a power issue is that sometimes it has power which when you turn your key on the gage lights up. And other times nothing happens at all. Thats why I was thinking it was a relay issue. Could it be something else?

Download the service manual in the FAQ section and identify the different relays under the hood. Swap a couple of relays around (a couple are the same part #) and see if that gets it to start for ya. If it does, then it's a bad relay.

Grimm said:
Download the service manual in the FAQ section and identify the different relays under the hood. Swap a couple of relays around (a couple are the same part #) and see if that gets it to start for ya. If it does, then it's a bad relay.

Switched relay and still no luck.

Well took all fuses and relays out cleaned them put alittle dielectric grease on them. And still nothing. So I started thinking. I wonder if I unhook the battery if it will reset something. Sure enuff something reset, because its alive again. It is so odd. But I know sometimes with cars if you do that is resets your brain box. Anyways thanks for the help and suggestions. :Rockon:

my xtx does the samething...only when it was cold. all i did for it is just turn the ignition key all the way and hold it, then it just cranks it up after like 2-3 minutes. it gets a code 12 which is the code for crank position sensor i think. but after i get it running it acts like normal

Back