• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How do I fix my loose tunnel?

jhanratt

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 RX1 Mountain
2003 RX-1 3,900 kilometers.
How do I fix the loose tunnel extension on my 2003 RX-1. It's the mountain version. RX-10MS I believe. I noticed it was a little loose after my last ride when I lifted it to put it on casters in my shop. Today I rode again and I noticed it is much worse. In addition when I vacuumed up the melted snow I noticed there were some rivets on the shop floor.

I am inclined to drill out the remaining rivets and replace them all with bolts and nyloc nuts but I am sure that Yamaha used rivets for a reason. Can I just buy regular rivets from the hardware store (arrow?) and replace with pop rivets? Aluminum? Steel? What size?

Thanks for your advice.

Jeff

Last edited:

you can use 3/16" stavex rivits to replace the loose and missing ones. normal rivits do not clamp hard enough and will wear out faster. i do reccomend a hydraulic rivit gun as the # you most likely have to do will kill your hands with a hand rivit gun.

Thank you.
I’m working on sourcing stavex rivets now.
I drilled out all the rivets last night so I am ready to go when I get my hands on rivets.
Very good customer service at fastenal in Kelowna bc.

fastenall here in town is where i get mine for all my mainenece and sled mods.

I got it all finished tonight. I got most of my Stavex rivets through Fastenal in Kelowna. The ones I ordered or maybe the ones that came in were too short for some of the locations. I ended up using about 10 or so from the Yamaha dealer. For sure this project required an air rivet gun. I did about half with a cheap hand rivet tool before I broke it with the Stavex rivets. I bought a cheap air rivet gun from Princess Auto and it worked great. The second reason to buy the air rivet gun is it's much easier to hold the pieces tight together and pull the trigger than to try hold it all together and drive the hand rivet tool. I ended up drilling out an replacing a few of the hand rivets with the air gun and got a much tighter fit.

Thanks for the advice. The sled is all back together and it's nice and tight again!

Back