• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How do I get inside front idler bogie wheels off of the bar they are connected to so I can replace?

Matthew457

Expert
Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro xtx
I have the bar out where the bottom of the shock bolts on. Can’t get the shock off either because the bolt can’t push through the hole all the way because the head of the bolt hits the idler bogie wheels and won’t pull out all the way... which is an extremely stupid design because you need to take the bogie wheels off to take the shock off. But anyways, I got that whole assembly out including the shock and I need to get the bogie wheels off on each side to replace them and also so get the shock off to being in and get rebuilt. There’s a little torx screw in be middle of the bracket and I’m wondering if that is what needs to be loosened to take of the bogie wheels? The torx screwes were rusted and when I tried to loosen them they just kinda stipped and are extremely tight that they won’t move. Are those even what I need to take off to replace th bogie wheels or no? Help would be great, thank you!

Attachments

• DE1EA05D-9470-44E4-8660-060666C0C03C.png
    DE1EA05D-9470-44E4-8660-060666C0C03C.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 3169F70B-9587-4A23-8290-A63105638E7F.png
    3169F70B-9587-4A23-8290-A63105638E7F.png
    400.6 KB · Views: 270

Yes those have to come out to get the assembly apart. Those screws are holding the shaft in place.
Had the same problem last year on my xtx. Found out after that those Allen screws are held with red loc-tite. I found this only AFTER I had the heads rounded out.
You can try some heat to loosen the loc-tite but it’s not going to be easy if you already have a head stripped.
From my experience those screws don’t drill out easy either.
I ran out of patience and put the shaft in a press and pushed it all off. Definitely a last resort. It Wasn’t a cheap learning experience.

Yes those have to come out to get the assembly apart. Those screws are holding the shaft in place.
Had the same problem last year on my xtx. Found out after that those Allen screws are held with red loc-tite. I found this only AFTER I had the heads rounded out.
You can try some heat to loosen the loc-tite but it’s not going to be easy if you already have a head stripped.
From my experience those screws don’t drill out easy either.
I ran out of patience and put the shaft in a press and pushed it all off. Definitely a last resort. It Wasn’t a cheap learning experience.
So I could just drill through and buy those screws from Yamaha and all should be fine as long as the threading doesn’t get messed up during the drilling?

So I could just drill through and buy those screws from Yamaha and all should be fine as long as the threading doesn’t get messed up during the drilling?
Yes you can drill through them if you are lucky. If not you will have to replace the brackets also. I did not have good luck trying to drill them out. My original plan was to try and get them with an easy-out but it seemed all I did was burn up drill bits.

Heat and a good bit and non-stripped head. Drilling a hardened bolts always goes sideways to the softer material unless you are in a press. : (

Goo
Yes you can drill through them if you are lucky. If not you will have to replace the brackets also. I did not have good luck trying to drill them out. My original plan was to try and get them with an easy-out but it seemed all I did was burn up drill bits.
good news :) I thought it was a torx head because it looked like it in the corners when I first looked at them. But just realized it’s a hex so I heated her up and popped a hex in her and it loosened nice and easy, not stipped at all. Which I’m surprised cause I cranked the torx around them each a few time, phew! All good, so happy about that, thanks anyways tho for the help. Got my new bogies on and just gotta get that shock a rebuild and put her all back together!

Also, Does your xtx sit pretty low? Mine always has and does not pop up in the back end at all If you just push it down by hand. Gonna bring that spring shock in and see if I can get it rebuilt a bit stronger, see what they can do for that if there is anything.

Also, Does your xtx sit pretty low? Mine always has and does not pop up in the back end at all If you just push it down by hand. Gonna bring that spring shock in and see if I can get it rebuilt a bit stronger, see what they can do for that if there is anything.
Glad you got it figured out.

There are many threads and just as many more ideas on sag. But yes mine suffers from it like most.

Just did mine tonight. The lower shock mount bolt hits the inner right wheel so you have to release that axle from the skid rails. Simple to drop the entire skid and remove (four bolts on tunnel) and then you can go through the entire skid in an evening or two. The hex screws on the sleeves were not lock tighted in on mine, likely will put back with blue LT.

20171102_201847 1s.jpg 20171102_201857 1s.jpg

Just did mine tonight. The lower shock mount bolt hits the inner right wheel so you have to release that axle from the skid rails. Simple to drop the entire skid and remove (four bolts on tunnel) and then you can go through the entire skid in an evening or two. The hex screws on the sleeves were not lock tighted in on mine, likely will put back with blue LT.

View attachment 132489 View attachment 132490
Stupidest set up ever that you have to take off the inner bogie wheel to get the shock off, especially that it’s such a b*tch to get those 2 bogies off. Just brought my shock in to get rebuilt since I might as well get it done while I have it all apart. Got the shock back this week and gonna be putting everything back together Saturday, then I think my sleds good to go for the winter bring on the cold weather and then #*$&@ ton of snow pls

Drill a hole through the wheel. I'm thinking arctic cat used to build some of there sleds that way with a hole to slide the bolt through.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing but I am sure one engineer is disconnected from the next one! That is an interesting idea to drill the hole through the wheel... dropping my skid was simple, will become an annual ritual as everything is right there, grease, clean, replace vs. on your ear under it.

Back