• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How does it work

Two big things made the OLD VK a good sled;

#1) SMALL MOTOR. This is a GOOD thing on a workhorse because it'll be GEARED LOWER, and hence there is less engagement stress on the belt (also less overall stress on the belt). This means that when you give it, it pulls like a mule.

#2) DUAL FORWARD GEAR RATIOS. Same explanation as #1, but even further.

VK Pro, having such a big motor and only a single gear ratio (which is, of course, a lot HIGHER than the old VK) is NOT ideally suited for pulling or for crushing through deep snow. If they slapped in a second (and maybe third) lower gear ratio, EVEN WITH the big motor, it would make it into a real good workhorse.

Actually there was a comment on how well it pulled and the great torque. So that is no problem. The comments were that it didn't start well in - 20 weather. Flooded out several times. Hard to control period but worse in loose snow-condition. Fuel-consumption was no better than the 2 strokes.
That is just feedback I have from one customer that is why I am looking for people with experience on type to see what there experience is.

If they're comparing it to a performance sled, maybe. Still not NEARLY enough.

As for starting... Its the same RS tripple engine, so they start fine in the cold. Handling on workhorses SUCKS. They're not meant to be nimble or playful. More like driving a bulldozer.

And fuel consumption... again, thats a trait of a huge and really heavy machine, so yeah, a rev will probably burn less fuel than it.

The company rented 8 sleds al working machines Bear cats and Scandics and one VK professional. I am looking for people with experience on the sleds not opinions without experience. And yes the vectors are prone to flooding in extreme cold. especially in the break in period.

I am looking for replies from people that have one ore used one.
People with experience on type. you fail to be able to back your opinions up with any kind of experience on this type. So go away !!!!!!!

I followed a Yamaha rep that was driving a VK at the TY demo rides. I was on the Phazer FX. He was directly in front of me on an extremely whooped out and VERY twisty trail. He pinned it on takeoff and so did I. The Phazer is VERY nimble, and I figured I would catch him quickly. WRONG!! He gapped me on takeoff and I didn't catch him until he let off. Appeared to be handling the corners AND the 2-3 ft. whoops with no problem. Hope this addresses some of your questions.

Dave

I have been using widetracks since 1990 and have done over 50,000 miles on them. all kinds of conditions and i can assure you that the vk professional is one awesome snowmobile in deep snow or pulling heavy loads...I do snowmobile tours and i travel with all types of snowmobiles. I have towed a lot more narrow tracks that were stuck in deep snow then visa versa..four of the widetracks i owned had low range as well as high range and it was an advantage but so far i have not seen the need for it with the professional.. This machine has plenty of low end tourqe.. top speed about 135-140 kmh..The advantage widetracks have over the other sleds is their ability to back up when you cannot go any further.. Most of the other sleds i have seen just dig a deeper hole when they get stuck in forward.. I live in an area where we get tons of deep snow and i have never seen a time when i couldn't get to my back country lodge because there was too much snow...

Meant to post here

Let me start by saying that I am a yammy man I own a 1992 VK 540 a 200 Venture 600 and a 2003 RX1 mountain Limited Edition. My next machine will hopefully be a VK professional I am waiting for fuel injection.

But to the question at hand. Reports are the professional is too heavy in front compared to other wide tracks in real light powder it tends to nose dive in short dips and get stuck. I know of one gentleman who loved this machine on the trails and light snow conditions but after his first trip in the back country with four other wide tracks he was the guy stuck all the time. On his return he put it up for sale.

I still love this machine but there are definately issues that need addressing here.

Maybe larger skis may help but I will be waiting for awhile before buying.

I should add that I was in the high country two days ago with a friend on a professional and I was very impressed with fuel consumption and the way that thing could back up in snow. We however did not have a lot o powder so I could not verify the above but I did find it front heavy.

There was a bombadier wide track (600 SDI)with us and after 146 Km the bombadier took $32 and the Professional took $28 so factoring in the very expensive injection oil for the bomb the professional was much cheaper.

Back